Author Topic: Gravel at the bottom of deep planter-good idea or not?  (Read 1031 times)

Lost-The-Plot

• Not So New ...
I'm utilising some old pieces of picket fencing to build a planter 2x2x2, to wrap around an unslightly washing line pole near my back door. The planter has no base and I intend to line it with empty compost bags (recognise the recycling theme here?) fill with manure and compost and plant runner beans and maybe a courgette plant, out of the way of slugs. So that the pole is in the centre of the box, thus forming a wigwam axis,  the box does not quite match up with the square of soil in front of the pole that was formerly planted with herbs and there is a gap between the paving stones and soil on two edges. So that the box has  a level base, I've filled these gaps with gravel. Now my question is - would it be a good idea to continue the gravel over the soil at the bottom of the box to provide some drainage under the compost/muck?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Gravel at the bottom of deep planter-good idea or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 20:06:07 »
So the planter is 2' deep?........if it is I would not have thought you needed all that depth so ading as layer of gravel will help with drainage and will also mean you wont need so much compost.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Lost-The-Plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 20:23:58 »
Yes 2' - I wanted the height! Maybe I could fill a third of the way up with gravel?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 21:47:00 »
Holes in the old compost bags will be a decent help with drainage.

One thing I use for drainage, which is cheaper than gravel is chopped up polystyrene foam that you get in packages. You know the moulded stuff that is inside the box you get with new electrical products.

As it is light in weight it will not put as much strain on your frame work.

I am told the foam can not be recycled in our area so it is a use which is a help with being green.

It does work, I having been using it for years, it just takes a while to chop up.

Lost-The-Plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 22:08:55 »
I like this idea as I am concerned about the internal load on the walls AND it recycles something, which is great. Thanks Purple Heather and Fork!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal