Author Topic: Selling Produce  (Read 7949 times)

Arumlily

• Acre
Re: Selling Produce
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 16:44:25 »
Really delighted to hear that I'm not the only one selling my surplus produce from the allotment. I used to be so terrified in case someone discovered what I've been doing. My OH sadly is disgusted by what I did, and refused to give me a hand at the allotment any longer, so now I have to juggle with looking after the family as well as keeping the allotment as near to a decent state as I possibly can.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 16:47:30 »
Your OH needs a swift kick! LOL Hes using that as an excuse to get out of some work. My hubby would do that too.  ;D

Think back to any time he has done something you disproved of and use that to get him working again.  ;)

or say "Here sweetie you look after the kids Im working on my allotment, see you in 3 hours. Oh and please feed the kids while Im gone."

Watch how quick he starts to help!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 16:49:17 by Ishard »

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 16:49:58 »
I got a letter from the council last year saying that if I sold my surplus on a stall at the local garden centre's autumn fair on both Saturday and Sunday I'd get the next year's rent paid by them. sadly I didn't have any surplus last year (first year) but I might have a bit this year ;D

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 16:57:07 »
I lost my wife last week, she used to like going to the plot.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 18:38:21 »
I lost my wife last week, she used to like going to the plot.

I am beginning to think you have  lost the plot. What a thing to post. I think you should seriously consider seeing some one.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 18:55:13 »
Forgot to post the other line.

What a game of cards that was.

Boom Boom!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 19:17:28 »
Albacore there are people on this site who have lost partners and you are really annoying me.

You appear to have no sensitivity to other peoples feelings.

I for one do not accept your apology as I do not for one moment think it is sincere.

I have also noticed that you have added more words at the bottom of your posting,Get a life or better still get some help.You could have friends on this site if you wanted them.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 22:57:41 »
It's a line from the Italian Job.

Mr Bridger says it to the Governor, after having his ''toilet, rudely interrupted''.

It is in no way a political reference.I see from another post that you appear to be a red hot leftie

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 23:14:44 »
I don't know whats going on but in every thread I click on someone seems to be having a go at albacore1854, whatever it is you're doing albacore1854 please stop and use the forum in the correct manner.

powerspade

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 08:55:55 »
With regards to the rights or wrongs about selling my produce I see no problem with it as long as I am not making a lot of money out of it. I live near the bread line and find it hard it make ends meet. My intention about selling produce is to help pay for manure and add a little greenhouse and a small cold frame. The money I make I want to plough back into the plot to make it more fertile as when the day come when I pop my clogs I want to leave the land in a better condition than I found it. Also since the allotment is owned by the Council everything I put on it to improve my plot actually becomes the Councils property.
There are no greengrocer shops in this part of the valley the nearest is 4 miles away and it costs £4.85 bus fare (return) to get there. so I am not in competion with any local shops.
The nearest superstore is 9 miles away
I went to Asdas and Tescos last week both were charging £0.99 for 7 beans I was thinking of charging £1.00 for 3 lbs of beans
Rhubarb was £1.98 for 3 sticks I was thinking of armfull for a Pound

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 09:00:32 »
Powerspade you dont have to explain why you want to sell your excess, just go for it.  :) Most of us here do.

I dont know of any allotment that doesnt produce more than we need so we have to do something with it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:02:44 by Ishard »

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 09:15:27 »
I spend loads more money than I make!

Don't forget the people who buy from you are getting a much better deal! no air miles, fresher produce, don't worry about it!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 20:29:16 »
Powerspade I wish I lived near you.
Janet.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 21:50:18 »
Powerspade I wish I lived near you.
Janet.

Me too, not only for your fresh produce (you can grow loads more than me) But also for the peace and tranquility of being so very rural. I know it can have its downside too.

I used to live miles away from anywhere and loved every minute :D ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 21:58:19 »
We arent allowed to sell our excess off. It seems silly though, as , if I didnt have loads of willing helpers to unload my veg onto, it would have to be left to rot. 

I think excesses are necessary, as you never know how well any given crop will do in any given year. It seems like a good way to make a bit of money to cover expenses as needed.

cj :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 17:47:34 »
Our lottie rules don't allow us to sell, but as long as you don't do it from the plot there shouldn't be a problem. Or another way round it is to sell them a carrier bag for say £2 and throw in the veg for free.  :o     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 20:21:10 »
Oooh kev, you devious little minx, you ;D

cj :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 22:09:18 »
hehe! kev i'm liking your style!  :D :D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 03:10:11 »
There is a copperative (I believe originally linked to Defra) Country Markets which encourages people to sell their surplus veg and fruit, plus any products made out of them. I don't think that if Defra were involved in the set up that these are anything dodgy - so should think this low level pin money approach is accepted practice.

www.country-markets.co.uk

Could be a good way to sell surplus as well if you have any this year.

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 18:10:20 »
I do sell my excess raspberries, currently I am selling rhuabard, and in the winter I sold Jerusalem Artichokes.  I also intend to sell excess strawberries, and spare plants etc and eggs (when I get my chickens)  You will all be so sick of me saying that soon!!

I
Old Bird

;)

I really wish you lived near me. Must be wonderful to be able to buy that lovely home grown produce. (I don't have an allotment) ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal