Author Topic: tulip and other bulbs  (Read 1270 times)

jesssands

• Acre
tulip and other bulbs
« on: May 03, 2008, 18:55:08 »
I have taken some tulip bulbs out of a patio container today that I wanted to use for something else.

What is the best way to store these bulbs until next year?

I want to dig up the front flower bed also. there are so many daffodil, lily, crocus and narcissus in there when its time to put in some bedding plants I keep stabbing bulbs. I thought it was time for a good clear out.
I am thinking about putting some bulbs back in but I have a bank where I park my car and I was gonna put some bulbs there to create a display.

Would I store these the same way as the tulips or would I just plant them in the new location now? and when if stored would be the best time to plant again?
thanx

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: tulip and other bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 00:22:33 »
Have your bulbs' leaves died down fully? If you try and dig them up and store them before they have, they won't flower next year.
Once the leaves have died down dig up the bulbs, remove the faded leaves and let them dry thoroughly for a few days. Then store in somethuing like an onion net in a cool, airy place. Re-plant in August.
Alternatively, you can plant then in their new spot now, moving them whilst the leaves are green. They may take nore than a year to flower, depending on how much you damage the roots.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 00:57:58 »
So once the leaves have died down do you remove the soil and stick in the onion net.

I have also just found a bad of unplanted dafs and glabioli bulbs i have forgotten about what should i do with them?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:14:11 »
Plant them; they'll never grow if you don't. Even if they've been weakened by their experience they'll get stronger with time. I had a load of very knackered daffs some years ago, which had been mouldering in pots for years and didn't flower. They went out in the lane, and this year they finally produced a real show. I've bought leftover daffs from shops a couple of times in spring, when they've been going cheap, and they've been OK.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal