Author Topic: Pea and Sweetcorn newbie  (Read 1434 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Pea and Sweetcorn newbie
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:09 »
For the first time I'm trying my hand at growing Peas and Sweetcorn. The Peas were bought from the garden section of a DIY store, they are about 2 1/2 inches tall and are in my mini greenhouse at the moment, variety "Green Shaft".

Sweetcorn variety "Sundance". These I am growing from seed and are on a window sill. I've sown 6 and only 3 have come up so far. I'm not worried about yield, this is just an experiment to see if any cobs are produced.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know that the Sweetcorn needs to go in a sunny spot, the best spot in my garden is exposed though. I'm not sure when to plant out the Peas or Sweetcorn. I live in Scotland, 10miles south of Edinburgh.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Pea and Sweetcorn newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 13:12:25 »
Peas are pretty hardy - if you harden them off first (put them outside for a few hours at a time and then after a week leave them outside for another few days before moving to their permanent positions) they will be fine. Peas do need something to climb up - pea netting is good but a pain to disentangle at the end of the season. I use sticks shoved into the ground.

Sweetcorn needs to be planted in a block arrangement to make sure that they pollinate each other - if you only have 3 plants you will probably not get very good pollination and the cobs will have lots of missing kernels. I would say a minimum of 9 plants in a 3 x 3 arrangment. 
However many you have don't plant them out unprotected until you can be sure of no more frosts. If its a windy exposed site maybe put a fleece wind break around them supported by canes?
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 14:09:40 »
Thanks for the advice GodfreyRob.

I'm hoping that at least another couple of the Sweetcorn will come up but maybe I should sow some more. Just one cob would give me the incentive to try it properly next year although I don't have much room for that amount. How close together can the Sweetcorn plants be planted?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 14:11:18 »
Peas are very hardy - my overwintered Douce de Provence have had flowers on for the past fortnight!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 14:12:34 »
....mine too bupster.  Twospot - I put my corn about 15" apart.
twinkletoes

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 14:27:33 »
Towspot Ladybird hello and welcome to A4A.
I'm new to growing them too (last summer was my first time) so cannot offer any help. Good luck with your peas and corn.

Lauren  :D

P.S.. you can grow peas in tubs
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

jo9919

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 19:36:10 »
I started growing in pots in my back garden last year.

I grew peas and also sweetcorn. My first piece of advice would be to get some more sweetcorn in. Once you have tasted your own sweetcorn you won't be able to get enough of it!

I had great success with both peas and sweetcorn, and as I said, mine were grown in containers so I'm sure you'll have success in your garden.

I started my sweetcorn much later last year, they weren't planted outside until June,  I've started them earlier this year but they won't be going out until all risk of frost has gone.

Apparently, sweetcorn should be grown in blocks, so last year I planted 2 plants to a 12'' container and had 6 containers in total. I got an average of 2 cobs per plant.

Let us know how you get on.

Jo.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:56:32 »
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I will get some more Sweetcorn sown and try and find or make space for them in my garden. I also planned on putting my Peas into containers so thanks for letting me know that this should work  :)

ps. Lauren S, I'm not a newbie to A4A just a newbie to growing Peas and Sweetcorn but thanks for the kind welcome anyway  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:59:47 by Twospot Ladybird »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 06:14:12 »
The information about block growing sweet corn is very important. The bits on the sides drop pollen on the cobs.

They can be planted very close so a bit of land four foot by four feet will take 9 plants (if you are very tight for space that would be a minimum).

You can plant in between the corn, things like lettuce and radish, there are a lot of other things people plant with them and they will no doubt add these for you to read. So the corn need not take up all the growing area, it can be shared.

Now the next important part, is the cooking. You must get them picked, prepared, cooked and on the table all in one swift move.

The reason is complicated but briefly, as soon as the cobs are picked they change chemically and this effects the taste a lot.

Peas need to be in rows with something to climb up, they will tolerate shade well and can be planted straight into the ground at almost any time.

The main reason peas fail to grow is mice pinch them. Then the slugs and birds nibble on what is left to germinate. Once they are a few inches tall they seem to look after them selves quite well.

Peas are best eaten raw, from the pod as a snack, forget about cooking, leave that for the frozen variety.

Enjoy

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 09:34:24 »
T&M sell a variety of corn that apparently does better in cooler climates, it's called Northern Extra, even though I am in the south I have got some to try, incase we have another cr*p summer.  It's also a bargain for the next 2 weeks at 79p for 50 seeds.  Might be worth a try.

Good Luck

Helen x

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 12:42:34 »
Thankyou PurpleHeather, it's great to know that I will be able to get away with using so little space  ;D

Thanks for that info Tinkie_Bear, the variety I have is apparently a reliable cropper countrywide and is recommended by the Northern Horticultural Society (doesn't mean it will grow up here though  :P) and has an RHS 'Award of Garden Merit' but if that one doesn't  do well then I'll try Northern Extra next time  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal