Author Topic: rhododendron problem  (Read 1772 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
rhododendron problem
« on: March 28, 2008, 18:30:39 »
The mother in law called as she has something killing off her rhodies.  She has several along a fence, they have been in the ground for about 18 months.  I have no idea what the soil pH is or the drainage situation, but from what she tells me it sounds like a creature.  The leaves have holes in them, not just around the edges, but shot holes through the middle, and now some of the leaves are skeletal with just the veins left.  I thought vine weevils or leaf chomping bees, but does anyone know what this could be and what she can do, she loves her chemicals and has already been spraying it with the Ultimate Bug Gun that she got from B&Q!

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
Re: rhododendron problem
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:22:44 »
Has it been like this since last summer. Its unlikely to be bugs this time of year, far too cold.

Vine weevile and caterpillars make notches around the edge of the leaf, not in the middle.

Leaves with just the skeletal veins left suggests snails as they have fine rasps and cant eat the thicker veins like slugs do.

How big are the plants ?
What percentage of leaves are affected ?
Are there any flower buds forming ?
Have some of the leaves turned yellow, or have yellow between the veins (interveinal chlorosis)?
Have some of the leaves turned brown ?
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:25:21 »
I'm rather concerned with my rhododendron too. I've noticed that this year the leaves are pointing downwards not floppy but rigid. I don't remember it being like that last summer. Can someone please tell me what 's wrong.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:56:12 »
My leaves have holes in the middle too... Its slugs!!!!!.   Blasted things lol.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 15:51:36 »
One of FIL rhodies is the same. I suggested vine weevil killer.......but reading these its too early for that?

Im interested in reading other replies too ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal