Author Topic: Expect to pay £...  (Read 3401 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Expect to pay £...
« on: April 28, 2008, 20:26:15 »
In the news today, reporters have said that we can expect to be paying around £1.50 per litre of fuel by June and it will remain so. >:( >:( >:(   
My mother-in-law is a manageress of a Shell garage,  when I mentioned it,  she said she had been told of this already.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: Expect to pay £...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 20:30:54 »
They where talking about that on Sky news yesterday but they expect it to go back to around £1.06 by mid-summer.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 22:05:26 »
They where talking about that on Sky news yesterday but they expect it to go back to around £1.06 by mid-summer.
Hope so.  Or I might quit my job and go to a life on state benefits... seems you are better off this way ;D ;D ;D

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 22:14:30 »
I heard on the radio that thousands of Americans have cancelled their holiday plans a petrol has gone up to 50p a litlre?!!

Instead of the tax duty on petrol -  I think the government should riase the cash by fining the companies who dig holes in the road and then disappear. When did you last see a hole get dug and speedily filled back in?

Usually the water/gas board or whoever, digs the hole - disappears for around 6 weeks or so and then comes back to fill the hole in. Why not just say they can have a week to do what they need to do - or fine them a grand a day for example for every day they go over that. It would save congestion due to roadworks and cut down on fuel tax - us normal people are happy - and the companies charging us over the odds for utilities can put something back! ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 22:22:52 »
As I commute 67 miles per day I will have to cease work, as it will cost me more to go!!
 ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 23:10:49 »
This is a case of oil companies profiteering - there is not really going to be that much of a shortage.  They have been profiteering for years - why the dispute has arisen in the first place really.

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 23:22:11 »
Its was only 47p a litre when Labour got in power....over 50% of fuel is tax as far as I'm aware? - along the lines of 54%??

Something has got to give - we can't go on like this surely..
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 23:23:27 »
As I commute 67 miles per day I will have to cease work, as it will cost me more to go!!
My sentiments exactly.  I do about the same. 

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:58:37 »
In the news today, reporters have said that we can expect to be paying around £1.50 per litre of fuel by June and it will remain so. >:( >:( >:(  
this as shell and esso publish combined profits of seven billion pounds     in the first three months of the year >:(
oh bugger its raining

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:42:11 »

Know what you mean - I travel a lot for work in my own car & I bet I won't see any uplift in the mileage allowance.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:10 »
What price would it have to be to actually reduce the amount of miles you drive? I reckon it's have to be about a fiver a litre - as I only drive when I need to be somewhere else for work or family, neither of which are a luxury.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:26:06 »
OK, Profiteering oil companies and grasping governments aside (when was it any different?) the oil price rise is a reflection of the fact that we are not the only country in the world guzzling the gas like there is no tomorrow.

Now that other countries are joining the free for all (China, India, etc) the price is only going one way - and that's up and up until the last drop has gone.

I must say that despite all the talk of going green I doubt if I use less petrol than before - in fact I suspect the older I get the more justified I think I am in jumping into the car for all the small trips that I could easily walk. Both our cars have big engines too. I do all the usual recycling, etc but that is doing absolutely nothing to cut down my profligate use of energy.

Fact is, using less energy means either putting a lot of money up front (like installing a wind turbine or heat pump, etc) or changing my life style. I am sure if I had the money I would choose to fly off on a long holiday rather than buy a wind turbine! Although perhaps if I had loads of money I might do both (typical greedy consumer).

Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:33:33 »
You'd look a bit funny with a wind turbine on the roof of your car though!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:34:23 »
You'd look a bit funny with a wind turbine on the roof of your car though!

Plus it would add to the cars drag meaning you'd use more fuel.  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 11:42:37 »
Interesting piece on the news the other day saying that in London just ten per cent of people drive to work, while outside London it's 78 per cent. I think they must be including commuters among Londoners there. Hardly anyone I know in Cambridge drives to work, there's plenty of public transport and bicycles. Maybe we should be arranging our lives around a sustainable way of getting to work and to schools etc instead of planting ourselves where we want to be and then moaning because it's hard or expensive to be somewhere else for half the day.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 17:13:19 »
What are all those cars doing driving down the A14 to Cambridge (or should i say sitting on the A14 waiting while the lastest victim is scraped off it) doing? Public transport in the villages is either non-existent or useless. Cambridge house prices force people to live further away and commute.

People in NZ are moaning about there huge price increases in petrol http://www.pricewatch.co.nz/Default.aspx?lyr=14&price_type=avg

Divide $nz by 2.3 then laugh......still the wages are that much lower so it's all relative but it's the same oil originally.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 20:17:29 »
'What comes around comes around' so they say, but when all the house prices balance out and the oil prices balance out we will be still paying more than the Yanks for fuel. But what the EU want to do (because we are part of it now) is start to put very large import duties on anything that comes out  of China or India, on every news report it's China this and China that, now when we are all living on our lotties because we can't afford to pay any utility bills or community charges then the Middle East will start to go tits up because no buggar will be buying their oil  ;)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 20:39:25 »
when we are all living on our lotties? sounds like a good idea!!
You couldn't make it up!

Shelle

• Not So New ...
  • Cramlington, Northumberland
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 20:56:46 »
Sheddie, new legislation came in on 1 April that allows the council to fine the utilities for any extra days they spend on authorised roadworks.  Although it is a bit early to tell, it should in theory mean that work is completed on time (or earlier) else they are fined per day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal