Author Topic: Recomendations please!!  (Read 1936 times)

Mrs R

Recomendations please!!
« on: September 28, 2009, 22:19:54 »
Hello all,

This is my first post.  Am hoping to get an allotment in the very near future so i am trying to get prepared and plan so i am looking to buy some books about allotment gardening.  This will be a first for me so i need to go right back to the basics, sort of step by step guide as i am really a complete novice.

Please can anyone recomend some good books.

Thanks

Laura

lushy86

• Hectare
Re: Recomendations please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 22:31:32 »
Welcome to A4A Mrs R.  There are lots of very clever people on here who will offer great advice.  You could do a search on here for specific questions and teegee's gardeners almanac is fantastic, I'm sure someone more able than me will be able to give you the link.

Good luck, hope you get your plot soon  :)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 23:09:54 »
Hi, Mrs R, well done and good luck. The information on this site is better than any book you can buy. Explore everything, there are hundreds of excellent photographs in all sorts of posts, they will give you so many ideas and so much help. And I don't think any question ever goes unanswered!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 23:18:48 »
Welcome to A4A Mrs R...  :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 23:20:39 »
Welcome to A4A and hope you get your plot soon.  If you go to the Wiki (4th button from the right at top of the page) you'll find a great book list there from member recommendations.  Particular favourites are Joy Larkom and Dr Hessayon.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:29 »

Hello Laura, welcome to A4A.

I agree with Small - you will find everything you need here and if you need to know something which hasn't been covered, just ask and there is bound to be someone who can help.

Hope you get your allotment soon.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 08:10:35 »
Mrs R hello and a warm welcome to A4A.

A good book for novices is Allotment Gardening (An Organic Guide for Beginners) by Susan Berger. A book that anyone who grows vegetables should have is The Vegetable & Herb Expert by Dr D G Hessayon.

Happy growing!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

digmyplot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:49 »
Hi

"How to Grow Organic" by Christine and Michael Lavelle is a very detailed and interesting book to brouse or consult.

You may also find my website of use.

Good Luck

www.digmyplot.co.uk

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:37:00 »
Hi Laura

2 books I have found particularly useful are one by Andi Clevery called 'Allotment Book' which is my favourite as it tells what to plant when with lots of interesting/helpful photos etc.  The second is the River cottage 'Veg Patch' book which again is really helpful and gives realistic advice and interesting recipes.

Hessayon is good as a guide for planting.

Hope his helps!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:45:06 »
Hi Mrs R. Welcome to the site.If I want to know something I always ask on here mostly for my own benefit and partly for others, There is sure to be someone else that need advice on the same topic.I will second our very own Tee Gee's Gardeners Almanac. If it had been a book then I would have worn it out by now. Take a look and you will see what I mean
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:55:14 »
Hello, Mrs R!

course when we got an allotment, we got lots of Christmas present books that had the word "allotment" in the title.......haven't used any of them

Dr DG,s the kiddie, and here at A4A, and the web in general. Be a bit careful about looking for pests and disease on the web - you'll probably think you've got some disease that's only in Australia or America  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 16:27:04 »
Hi Mrs R and welcome, like others on here I have, The veg expert by Dr Hessayonan, Alllotment gardening by Berger and The allotment book by clevely.
If you go the top of the main page and press shop it will give you the last two  books plus others at very good prices, one tip though don't buy too many as they tend to differ a bit and it becomes confusing.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

motherhen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 21:47:03 »
The internet and other gardeners are a fantastic resource.
However I do have a number of books and the two that I keep re-reading, and that are a 'good read' as well as an easy-to-use reference book are:

Organic Gardening The Natural No-Dig Way by Charles Dowding

How to Grow Your Own Food: A Week-by-week Guide to Wild Life Friendly Fruit and Vegetable Gardening by "Dirty Nails"

Both authors have each also written a second book, and both are also very much hands on, "eating what they grow" gardeners.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal