Author Topic: How many beans per pole??  (Read 4725 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: How many beans per pole??
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 15:07:55 »
When you're constructing the wigwam, don't make the poles meet at the very top, but cross them over a couple of feet down, so that the top splays out again. Then you get a depression at the top so that the beans hang into it.

And, to answer the original question, two.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 15:14:37 »
Was reading that beans and cucumbers make good companion plants. Anyone tried this? Could you train the cucumbers up the same poles if you made a trellis with twine? And would it make a difference to how many plants per pole?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 17:09:12 »
I'd prefer keeping them separate just so I wouldn't miss spying a ripe cuc. They ripen so quickly and are easy to miss.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 21:21:55 »
loads of ideas, thanks everyone for your advice. I am going to try 2 per pole, let's see how we do!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 14:45:46 »
You can dry them, but once it's ripened a few pods, the plant stops producing. Doubtless you can eat them like broadies. If you want dry beans, it would make sense to pick them until, say, the end of September, then leave the last lot to ripen.

Gotcha.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 16:57:12 »
I did a bit of a (not very scientific) experiment last year - grew 20 or so plants, put a few of them two per cane and the rest had their own canes. the canes were all spaced at about 8".  Each cane seemed to yield the same amount of beans, whether it had one or two plants growing up it: you couldn't really tell by looking which canes had the single plants on them and which the double.  In fact, the plants that were put two to a  cane didn't last as long.  So it's one per cane for me this year.

Maybe the bushiness has to do with watering and feeding?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 17:02:36 »
I do two per pole--------I had so many beans I do not think I could have coped with anymore :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 19:02:15 »
As always -

1. If they always overproduce, why double your trouble?

2. With even one to a cane, it's quite difficult to know whose is which? How many do you miss which go to seed & slow down the production?

3. However successful people are with two - & have they compared that with one only? - think of the demand on food?

4. If 'you' can do better, why the age-old guidelines?

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 19:33:23 »
I build flat sections like walls of poles with large holed netting strung across. Then you can plant loads of beans right along.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal