Author Topic: what is your claim to fame?  (Read 9715 times)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
Re: what is your claim to fame?
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 11:13:49 »
I touched Ailsa Fisher's bum once - if you know who she is!

It was a the world premiere of a film called the Wedding Crashers where i proposed to my then fiance. We did the whole red carpet bit - press interviews. showing ring to the paparazzi etc. Watched film. Went to after party which was a whose who. Everywhere you looked there were people from TV - luckily enough i am not bothered by famous people so i just went about my business enjoying the free bar and food! Our PR lady on the other hand was quite excited to be there. Some of the bigger names were Vince Vaughn, and Owen Wilson - and then some to fill out the room - people from soaps, Jody Marsh, Callum Best (was quite amusing when they wouldn't let him in the VIP area)

was a fun night.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 11:43:10 »
I snogged Clare Grogan singer of the band Altered Images and actress in the movie Gregorys Girl at a nightclub in 1986 when I looked like a dodgy post new romantic freak.

http://www.sukeplow.demon.co.uk/altered/altered.htm

My god how enmbarrassing, hope I never meet any of you.  :-[

gonz

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:27 »
We met the Holby City cast when they were filming in Paris in 2004, we had our pictures
taken with Art Malik (Zubin) and Hugh Quarshie (Rick Griffin) who pinched my bum!!!!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 12:43:22 »
ooh, just remembered another one!
Grange Hill used to be filmed at a local school that had closed down. although we never saw any of the cast at the school, we used to have regular discos at the local country club and they all turned up one Friday night but weren't allowed in because they didn't have tickets lol! Ziggy, Gonch, Robbie, etc were stood outside arguing with the doormen while we were sticking our fingers up and yelling abuse at them through the glass doors ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 13:07:22 »
I always roll this one out at times like this. Sting's Dad Ernie was our Milkman, and one summer when Sting or should I say Gordon, was a student he came round to collect our milk money. Also Blood on the Wire is filmed at the top of our street, and I am always going past the house when all the film vans are there and hoping they will ask me to be an extra.  Also one of the actors from Emmerdale lives just over the road. When I was 19 I saw the Beatles at the Majestic in Newcastle and Paul McCartney looked at me as I was sitting on a boys shoulder.  ;D Saw the Hollies before they were famous and talked to them after their concert and Graham Nash wrote his autograph on my hand.  Yes!! I never washed that hand for months.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 13:10:19 »
On stage with Harry Hill at an Edinburgh Festival being attacked by a plastic cat.....shouldn't have sat in the front row.
Sat next to Jerry Harden and wife at another Edinburgh Festival production. he's been in everything from star trek to x-files (deep throat character), a character actor. i had a chat to his wife.
My youngest son won the under 7 age group for a Smart portrait competition when he was 4 years old he was on TV being interviewed by Mark Speight, we had lunch with the Smart team later. really sad to hear about Mark he was really nice and quite good with children.

Much earlier while still in NZ was involved with a Science programme and met all the presenters on that one was quite famous in NZ.

My husband was once nearly run over by Stephen Hawkins in Cambridge and had a beer with Phil Hammond the other Doctor/comedian. (i say other because Harry Hill was a Doctor as well).

I can't think of any others but living in Edinburgh and going to the festival you bump into all sorts....stood next to (at the bar) the 'Just a minute' lot....Derek Nimmo was still alive and paul Merton had just started.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 13:35:55 »
OH yes, when working in bars over the years I served Mick Hucknall (very nice chap), Jim Kerr, Edwyn Collins, Lulu and Marty Pellow (rude ar*e).

I also served Diana Rigg a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel one summer in a deli when a student working in Covent Garden.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 13:50:45 »
living in Edinburgh and going to the festival you bump into all sorts.....

So true Kea,  I saw Lee Evans there on a 50p ticket when he was unknown, Dave Spikey was the warm up for Joe Brand ( & much funnier), went to a fab one man play by the chap who now plays the lead in Taggart, shared a train carriage with Chick Murray, and said hello to the old dear who was janet in Dr Findlay getting onto a train at Haymarket, Josie Lawrence at Waverley.  Makes me want to do it again this year but I'm not sure I have the stamina for 4 shows a night! especially the awful ones that you have to leave early from.

I went to school with a chap who became a presenter on daytime telly for a while but I can't remember his name, I wasn't that interested. OH is distantly related to Clive of India.  That more imressive that Chick Murray in a train.

is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 13:52:27 »
our research group was on Blue Peter - demonstrating an electronic sensor that detected when fish was off. They sent us several 4 foot high polystrene noses with the instructions that we painted some of them pink and some of them brown. We had the sensor on the bottom and a flashing light on the top, and a secret switch round the back that switched the light on if it didn.t work (it didn't, though the fish absolutely stank)

My friend Ally used to get off with girls by pretending to be Midge Ure from Ultravox, so if anyone's claim to fame is they sh@gged Midge Ure, it was very probably a short-@rsed lawyer from Edinburgh
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 14:26:29 by Rhubarb Thrasher »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 14:17:20 »
That would be ?Simon Biaggi   whose father was an orthopaedic surgeon at the Peel Hospital, Froglets. Not many famous folk from Gala, well maybe John Collins the man who  was player Manager at Hibs. 

My Mum and Dad met Prince Charles, Princess Ann, Duke n Duchess of Kent and all the Royal hangers on in the 70s when they  worked in a Big House  here in the Borders when they were visitors.  Duke of Kents dogs were untrained and used to pee against the Silver Wine Cooler.  My poor Dad had to clean up after them.  They did leave them a good tip though.  Mum was so nervous serving Sir Alec Douglas Hume that she spilled gravy over him.  She also played the piano while Ludovic Kennedy played drums. ;D ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2008, 14:28:01 »
My surname is Mellors........Lady Chatterleys lover was called "Mellors"....just about sums it up  ;D

DH Lawrence wrote the book.He originates from Eastwood,Nottingham....just like my family.One of my ancestors was DH's best mate so he used our surname in the book.

I also went to school with Tony Woodcock....he played football for England and Nottingham Forest.

I sat next to Anita Roddick on flight from Hong Kong to Nepal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 14:49:38 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2008, 14:38:33 »
Hi Carol,

No it wasn't Simon, he was and is seriously droolworthy!!!!  Is that another of the same family presenting on Scottish TV now?  I think I caught the name last weekend & heard the Biagi name - it was a lass, Fiona or some such.  Anyway, I can't remember the chap's name now, & I don't think he was originally from Gala & always seriously played down his connection to the town.  Probably lived in Melrose!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2008, 14:41:27 »
Ross Kelly,

got here in the end!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2008, 14:47:09 »
well I sold a couple of my pottery pigs to Clive Mantle ( he was a doctor in casulty and a lot of other things on TV) at a craft fair at bradford on avon
I didn,t know it was him until after I served him!!
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2008, 16:25:02 »
When I was a lecturer at Rotherham College of Arts & Technology in 1994 the then Labour Leader John Smith came on a visit - we had a small chat about miners retraining after being made redundant (bless Margaret Thatcher). He seemed like a very approachable ordinary bloke who was sincere in his wish to help people - gave me a good feeling about the Labour Party.

The next day I heard the News that he had died of a heart attack - how very sad and what a real loss. Tony Blair does not seem to represent anything of the old Labour Party - nor for that matter does Gorden Brown. Bring back the real Labour values!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2008, 17:06:39 »
My Aunt got to play Queen Victoria in the more recent BBC adaption of The Forsyte Saga. She was trundled up and down in the background in a bathchair on the Promenade at Llandudno. We reckon they picked her to save money on the make-up

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2008, 17:27:50 »
I was the baby on the front of the Ostermilk boxes for about 10 years, oh, and on billboards advertising Abbey National (thumb sucking habit).  :D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2008, 20:30:00 »
My claims to fame;

1-I was a child star in a film about a revolt in a Public School

2-My Pale ale won the National in 1984

3-I have cuddled a couple of Royal dogs and been trusted to hold a `Royal` baby(and we are talking Liz`s relations)

4-I will be known as the bloke who eventually weaned folk away from Money Maker Toms

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2008, 20:53:21 »
Was that "If" Cleo ? I taught in a school that had CCF, scary.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal