Author Topic: Help required in lobbying for a new site  (Read 2511 times)

Muwit

Help required in lobbying for a new site
« on: May 23, 2008, 16:44:25 »
What a frustrating week! Having been told that I had a plot on a site in Winchester, I have now been refused on the grounds that I live too far away.

So I now need to start generating interest within my village and lobbying the parish council to provide a brand new site. I have been told that they have to do this but I don't expect it to be quick or easy. If anyone has experience in requesting a new site or can offer any kind of advice, I would be most grateful. Who would believe that it would be so complicated growing some nice veg for the kids!

Many thanks

Chris (Newbie)

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Help required in lobbying for a new site
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 17:29:16 »
how frustrating for you i do sympathise.  it seems a bit unfair of the site at winchester to offer youa plot and then withdraw it. did they not know your location before the offer was made? having got your foot in the door there i would be inclined to appeal to their better nature and fight your corner making sure they are aware that your own parish council have no allotments.  this may seem obvious and you've probably done that. i have no experience of pursuading a council to provide land but i am sure i am right in saying that it just needs the request of six people to force them to take some action so maybe you need to mount a campaign in you village.  anyway hopefully someone will have some more helpful ideas than i.   good luck.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:39:00 »
Chris,

I suggest that you join NSALG (National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners) and ask their advice as to how you should proceed. They have their own legal advisor.

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/

As Sarah says, 6 is reputedly the magic number of interested people but I think that you may find that it is not that straightforward.

Good luck

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 15:04:44 »
hiya, Chris, nice to meet you, hope you get sorted  :)

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 20:18:15 »
You have to get six people from off your village electoral roll  to put the request in writing that you want land for allotments.
It’s best to put all the names in one letter and get every one to sign the bottom of the letter. If you send separate letters the council can always say they only received five. Then attend every council meeting and during public speaking ask what progress has been made, they will soon get feed up with the constant pressure. The trouble is there is no time limit for the council to provide the land.

Muwit

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:17:42 »
Thanks all for the advice. I have printed a couple of posters for around the village to generate interest and a list of names, which I will then take to the next parish council meeting.

Chris

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:16 »
Good luck Chris, and welcome to the site...  ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 16:37:59 »
It is tiresome, we have been lobbying the council for years to extend our site because of our waiting list. Yet we have plots, those people on the waiting list are not keen to do the job for themselves, even with our support.

There is a law. The small holdings and allotments act which you can find on line.

A friend of mine got a group of 6  together in her area and found some unused land belonging to the council, she contacted the county councillor with the portfolio for allotments and  eventually, she was allowed to have the land for one year, they made their own constitution and registered it at the council and then got a grant to develop it. After the year (I think they were checking to make sure it was used) she got a three year lease which is renewed every three years.

It took her about two years altogether from getting the 6 Interested people, finding the land, to get digging started on the plots.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal