Author Topic: Will couche grass compost?  (Read 1027 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Will couche grass compost?
« on: April 27, 2008, 17:40:48 »
I have been digging up masses of clumps of couche grass, knocking the soil off and placing them in my pallet compost bins.............will they compost down if I cover them with black polythene?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Will couche grass compost?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 17:48:49 »
probably not! either totally dry them out, or drown until mushy. then compost them.
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 17:51:32 »
If you bag them up in old plastic compost sacks and exclude the light they make great compost but can take up to two years...
 ;D

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 18:13:31 »
Thanks for the replies.........how about if I sprayed it with glyphosphate then covered with polythene?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 19:25:26 »
I've been composting couch for years and never had any problems. I've never known it survive overwinter in a compost bin or under black plastic, as long as it hasn't got roots running through to anywhere there's light.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal