Author Topic: carrots  (Read 4785 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:carrots
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 12:53:22 »
Look great Tim.  Delish.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 11:41:24 »
I have been pleased with my lastest attempt at growing carrots, having failed in the past.

Not hat many though, having been grown in tubes then planted out. However they are growing well, though a little over shadowed by the tomatoes they are growing next to.

I am now considering a direct sowing in a larger quantity. How late can you sow carrots? I am thinking perhaps a late sowing in august once the early spuds are lifted?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2004, 12:40:55 »
I have just sowed a couple of rows for baby roots for christmas...can't remember the variety tho.  Got them from Marshalls.

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2004, 17:07:05 »
I grew Nantes, and many of them branched, I think cos I started them at home, then transplanted them.  They taste great though...strangely the ones I planted straight out a few weeks ago havent come up at all....not a sausage...v disappointing. :'(
Peas xx

BOROBOY

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2004, 19:29:52 »
This year I grew Early Nantes in a cardboard box filled with growbag compost. Occasional feed with chicken manure and tomato feed. Sown really thickly so I just pull a handful out at a time. Taste good and no carrot fly. Unlike the crop sown in the soil.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2004, 20:55:09 »
August Richard?
I have sown in July and had 'reasonable sized' carrots by October.
Nothing ventured . . . eh?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2004, 22:28:32 »
That is odd mystic, yours not coming up.  All of my rows have been a bit hit or miss, lots of gaps, but then I have only had seed that was a year or 2 old, or was given to me in swaps.  The carrots I have just sowed for winter picking were brand new from Marshalls.  I sowed them thick becuase of all my previous failures, and they are up like cress!  Zillions of them!!!  I am going to have to do some serious thinning.  The moral of this tale, Emma will try to buy new seed and use it all up rather than hang on to seed for yonks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 11:33:52 »
While into carrots, some folk complain about sowing them thinly.

Why the problem?? Just tip a few into your palm, moisten the tip of your (for me, middle) finger, lightly touch a seed & flick it into its space. Seriously, no need for thinning. = Tim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 16:20:02 »
I think I might just go for it and see what happens. Our autumns and early winters are prety mild here so should get some decent growth before it gets too cold.

Thinking of doing the same with salad leaves (letuce etc) for the same reason.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal