Author Topic: Independent Nurseries  (Read 1459 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Independent Nurseries
« on: April 22, 2008, 18:48:21 »
In the last couple of weeks I have through word of mouth been put in touch with two local nurseries both having a good range of veg plants and seeds, compared to the large garden centres that do a similar range they don't come anywhere near, so I say support your local nurseryman :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Independent Nurseries
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 22:29:19 »
We have a few family run nurseries here, most have good quality plants, not bad prices but I'm lucky enough to be able to go to a grower direct nearby. His plants are fantastic quality and price. I'm all for supporting local business if the product is good.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 22:31:26 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:59:44 »
If you can find such places, treasure them!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 14:04:07 »
Yes I have bought a few things from our local nursery. even though it is a bit more expensive, I found that the plants are good quality and they give you good advice on things. They sell hard to get things like green manure seeds by weight. They give good quality service so they seem to have a solid customer base. I don't say I go there systematically (I admit that as summer goes on I do go and look at the local hypermarket garden section because they sell off the excess plants cheap and I often get good bargains for things where I am not so fussy about teh variety, like salad stuff), but when I wanted to buy herbs and rhubarb, I went to the little shop  because i knew it would be better quality.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal