Author Topic: Soft Eggs?  (Read 1537 times)

gt568

• Not So New ...
Soft Eggs?
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:47:14 »
My 2 hens have just started laying on wednesday.  I got hard shelled eggs weds and thurs, but since then they have been soft shelled....Is this normal for newly laying hens or should I be worried?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Soft Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:28:40 »
It happens when they first start to lay but should harden.  Ensure they have plenty of grit as this is what helps make the shell hard. 

Recommended to me yesterday:  I am going to try Oyster grit as oyster shell gives them calcium which again is good for  creating and hardening of the shell.  They will still get the standard grit in their feed.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
Re: Soft Eggs?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 19:48:42 »
Grit is good, But i also bake egg shells for mine. I place them in the bottom of the oven on baking parchment, and bake when the roast is in, for about half an hour or so. They come out very brittle and so easy to crush. The hens have no idea they are eating shells, and it doesn't give them the idea to peck their own eggs.
You will occasionally get the very odd plastic egg, and on the very rare occasion you may get an egg the size of a malteser, this is not uncommon either.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal