Author Topic: How to get rid of MOLES  (Read 7171 times)

Bazial

• Not So New ...
How to get rid of MOLES
« on: April 22, 2008, 17:40:07 »
Hi
   Has anybody tried SORK  BULBS to rid an allotment of moles .They are driving me mad ,as soon as I have sowed or planted a row of somethink they tunnel right down the row .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 17:48:50 by Bazial »

PAULW

• Acre
Re: How to get rid of MOLES
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 18:47:34 »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 19:17:31 »
hiya, bazial, welcome to the site, only thing I know about moles is they make good soil , hope someone can help  :)

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 19:17:55 »
Hi Bazial,
try putting empty plastic bottles on top of canes, the effect of them rattling in the wind sends vibration through the ground and deters the moles from that area.
Think of a golf green. The flag pin rattles in the cup, this helps to deter moles from appearing on the greens. It is far cheaper for the courses to do it this way, as it is expensive to have the sonic waves sent through the ground, and it also alleviates the cost of chemicals which would not benefit the types of grass used for a green.
Hope you find this helpful,
regards, Bryan.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 21:46:07 »
Welcome Bazial,

I will try the cane and bottle, not tried that one yet.......thanks Bryan BTW.

My mole is back again GRRRRRR >:( >:( >:(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 21:49:14 »
    try this french? site, they have the right idea. I suppose the animal liberation "people" would stop it in this country. Any one going to France shopping?   http://www.detaupeur.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 23:38:36 »
I work in a garden with a mole problem and we have tried the bulbs, kids plastic windmills, the whirring is supposed to annoy them, and a ultra sonic mole scaring device, all useless.  The mole still does this thing.  Traps are the next plan, his idea, not mine.  Going for humane at the moment.

Apparently if you can get some ferret droppings, put them down some of the runs, as a predator it is supposed to frighten them off.

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 23:56:55 »
This method has worked for me!! Clear one or two molehills to find the tunnel entrance.Put a milk bottle,neck up in the hole, the wind does the rest!!Apparently the vibrations are sensed by the mole who avoids the area because of the possible presence of a predator.If you set the bottles deep enough mowing is still possible.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:10:02 »
hiya, naff, nice to meet you  ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:50:08 »
    try this french? site, they have the right idea. I suppose the animal liberation "people" would stop it in this country. Any one going to France shopping?   http://www.detaupeur.com/

Can't see why - given a choice, I'd rather be in the middle of an explosion than have my head squashed by a trap. I think you'll find it's those anti-bomb people who would disagree most... the police!

I have a pet mole on the plot - never does any harm, has 3 hills that he services and never goes further. I think you must get good ones & bad ones. Or maybe he gets enough food on his small patch.

Good clip, btw!

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 20:06:46 »
heres how i did it paid 4.98 from b&q for a trap ;D.

But my grandad says find out which way they are running, mm bit hard to do that grandad! cus they are under ground!! well he is 97, good old farm air for you.

now i have tried this and had success 2 small jam jars so they dont have room to turn as they are flexible little beggers, find the hill dig down & place jars open end facing the hole on the bottom of the run, with a little luck and patience they will run in & wont get out lift jar out, dont try and pick them up they have a nasty bite & it hurts have been on the receiving end of one :-X.

I drive about a mile away & place them in some woodland, only use the trap as a last resort
today i will be growin veg!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 20:37:15 »
They won't get out of the jam jar as they can't get any grip on the glass. I once collected a bagful of old bottles along a stretch of verge, took them home, and identified all the small mammal remains inside. There were a surprising number of skeletons.

Bazial

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:19:04 »
Thanks for all the replies ,I found a dead mole on allotment yesterday ,so hopefully I shall be free of them for a week or two,I found Lesh'sanswer quiet interesting have emailed France for details.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal