Author Topic: Soil PH  (Read 1418 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Soil PH
« on: April 22, 2008, 22:14:13 »
Treated myself to a PH tester today and I was wondering if anyone can explain the results.

My soil reading was 1 line past alkaline, just into the acidic.  Does this mean its good soil.. i guess thats nearly neutral soil?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Soil PH
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:04:45 »
That's fine; as long as it's around neutral it doesn't actually matter very much. Mine's about 6.5 (pretty much where yours must be) and whatever I grow seems pretty happy.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:11:04 »
If I was to sow a couple of thousand pounds worth of seed I might see the point. But after planting for over 50 years  I have never felt the need to waste my money. You are stuck with your garden and I am sure testing the ph of a garden is well down the list when moving house.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:12:26 »
Thank you Robert.   That is very useful to know.

Its all part of my college work Ace :D  And testing my soil in various parts of my garden is vital for my understanding of what can grow where. 

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 20:26:13 »
Springbokgirlie,
                       I have also bought a PH  tester and it also combines a moisture tester it cost less than a fiver but I like watching the needles move when I take my temperature  :P ;) :)

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 20:27:37 »
Springbokgirlie,
                       I have also bought a PH  tester and it also combines a moisture tester it cost less than a fiver but I like watching the needles move when I take my temperature  :P ;) :)

We may have purchased the same one Mr Smith LOL.  I have not tried taking my temp yet...  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal