Author Topic: swapping plots  (Read 2593 times)

manicmum

• Not So New ...
swapping plots
« on: April 22, 2008, 23:17:28 »
what is the policy on allotments for swapping plots if one becomes available on ours its only the commitee who seem to be allowed i think if you look after the one you are on they should let you any one have views

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: swapping plots
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:46:07 »
It surely depends who runs the site: if it's a Council one, they make the decisions; if it's a self-run or independent site, then the Committee make the decisions.

On our site, it's down to the Committee, which in practice tends to mean me as Secretary. It's only happened on the odd occasion, but I'd be reluctant to let someone move onto another plot if they hadn't put the hours in on their present one.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:18 »
I swapped plots 2 years ago.I didnt seem to be a problem at the time,however,it obviously upset somebody because the committee in all their wisdom decided it was a no no from now on.New committee by the way.new brush sweeps clean and all that.

I cant see the problem.I left the other plot winter dug and ready for the next gardener.

So from now on if you want to change,you resign from your old plot and put your name down on the waiting list.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:16:49 »
I consider that it should be at the discretion of the Council or Association, depending on the individual circumstances. I agree with Trevor_D - you would not want to let a person move to a bigger or better plot if he/she has not looked after the current one.

The idea of having to resign and go back on the waiting list (as mentioned by Fork) sounds a bit bizarre if it is a general rule.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 22:45:59 »
So from now on if you want to change,you resign from your old plot and put your name down on the waiting list.

This is absurd.  Providing you have looked after your current plot I would not see a problem.  Yours would be easier to re-let as long as it had been worked well.  If you are taking on an overgrown one then all the more reason to let you swap....

I have swapped twice in 5 years.  I took my first plot one November, 2 miles from my house to get me onto a lottie.  After clearing it and winter digging, an overgrown  plot became available nearer my house.  I worked it for 2 years and completely turned it around but was competing with trees and bushes on the boundary  for moisture.  Then one became available just a 5 minute walk from my house.  It was like a jungle, little Beirut and a building site dump.  It is also one of only 20% licenced for poultry which is a bonus.  After a year or clearing and preparing, it now produces the best crops I have grown and the land has fabulous soil.  Such a shadow of its former self.  I won't be moving again, never ever ever
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 23:25:16 »
 Then one became available just a 5 minute walk from my house. It is also one of only 20% licenced for poultry which is a bonus. 

kt exercise to and from and at the plot plus eggs  too right your staying put

if only

3 miles and not even a shed :(
oh bugger its raining

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal