Author Topic: Small eggs  (Read 1885 times)

greenfingers 1970

• Not So New ...
Small eggs
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:46:35 »
I recently bought some chickens. I was told they were born near the end of last summer and started laying around christmas. They have settled in nicely to their new home, but I couldn't help noticing the eggs are rather on the small side, in fact smaller than bantems and they are not bantems. Is this usual, and will they get bigger? Can anyone advise please? Thanks. :)

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Small eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:52:31 »
There are several factors influencing the size of eggs:

The breed - some breeds lay larger eggs than others (e.g Silkies are lay smaller eggs, Blue Belles, large).

The strain within the breed - there can be a wide variation within a breed regarding the number and size off eggs a bird lays. If its possible its good to be able to find out what the birds peers are laying before you buy - but often this is not easy to arrange. You could check back with the people you got the birds from?

Where the bird is in terms of age and if its just started to lay for the first time or starting again after a moult - older birds generally lay bigger eggs, and eggs are smaller at the start of a new laying period.

Health - if a bird is unwell, its likely to lay eratically.

You might be unlucky and just have poor layers - I have a Cream Legbar that looks fantastically heathy and takes 6 month holidays (no eggs at all) and then lays small eggs for a month or two (its now gone broodie ???)

Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

greenfingers 1970

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:22:24 »
Thanks for that info Godfreyrob, I guess I will just have to wait and see. I wouldn't be without them though, I've grown quite fond of them already! :)

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 22:15:57 »
My largest chicken -white sussex, lays the smallest eggs. While my smallest chicken - a black rock, lays the biggest eggs!!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 00:21:31 »
My largest chicken -white sussex, lays the smallest eggs. While my smallest chicken - a black rock, lays the biggest eggs!!
My 6 black rocks lay medium size eggs.  I too was under the impression they laid big eggs but I guess not always. 

As a general rule - eggs usually start off small and will get larger as the hen gets older.  Once the hen reaches 30 weeks of age,  the eggs will have reached their maximum size.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal