Author Topic: liquid containers  (Read 1149 times)

Patrick King

• Half Acre
liquid containers
« on: April 20, 2008, 22:26:13 »
Hey guys/girls,

I was wondering if you could help me, where can i get water butts or barrel for collecting water and for liquid fertilizers. I don't really want to buy new ones for the allotment.

Any help you can give me would be great.

regards
Patrick
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: liquid containers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:08:03 »
I use old plastic dustbins which became plentiful when the council delivered Wheelie bins. I keep the lids on them though. It is quicker to dip the watering can in to fill it than to run a tap from a water butt.

Any container will do, even with holes in because you can line it with tough polythene sacks used for gardening or rubble. Your local rubbish tip may well have something you could use, it is the ultimate in recycling! Collecting from a tip!

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:32 »
hi, thats a great idea. but i cant drive, i only have a motorbike. i will phone around the tip tho, i might struck lucky and they will deliver. i hope.

Pootle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:37 »
Do you have a local Waste Resource Exchange or Scrap Store?  Our one in Worcester has loads of big blue barrels (the type my OH uses as dry barrels for canoeing) which have been previously used to store carpet cleaning fluid and blue water pipe.  The chemicals are non-toxic so as long as you give the barrels a good scrub before filling they're great on the allotment.

You pay a small annual fee and then take a trolley full of stuff for a small charge.  They often have fleece and netting for gardens too.  I'm going back next week for an old shop mannequin to use as a scarecrow!

Or Freecycle?  If you join your local group you could put a request in and maybe even find someone prepared to drop one off for you  :) Good Luck!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:33:11 »
hi patrick, I can get you some, usually free! how many you want? rgds, tonybloke
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 14:38:58 »
we use 6 pint milk containers for our home-made liquid feed, places like patak's have someone who sorts out big blue barrels, only trouble is, you have to collect them  :)

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 15:48:17 »
hey tony, i would like 2-3 if possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal