Author Topic: Trailers and tow bars  (Read 1194 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Trailers and tow bars
« on: April 18, 2008, 23:30:15 »
Hi all,

I want to get a basic trailer to go and collect manure in.  Trouble is I dont know anything about trailers or to bars - braked, electrics, twin electrics etc etc.  Can anyone advise me of the basics and how much a tow bar should cost ( in surrey ) and what I need to look out for.

Would rather I knew a bit before getting fleeced  ;)

RBT
Best laid plans and all that

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Trailers and tow bars
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 07:22:24 »
If you are talking about a basic trailer like you would get in Halfords, you will not need twin electrics, just the plug to make sure your lights and signals are visible to following vehicles. As for fitting a tow bar, go to the garage that deals in your make of car. They will have the right kit for the job and you will have a better comeback if anything goes wrong, also your insurance company will be happier. The garage will also know your vehicles capabilities regarding the tow train and the maximum weight you can tow safely. Braked or unbraked depends on the size of the trailer you get. There are also restriction on your licence if you have taken a driving test  lately.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:28:14 »
Ace,
         Is just about right in what he says about trailers and towing, the last time I had a tow bar fitted with twin electrics in cost me round about £250 for my caravan, the trailer I have is the best bit of kit I  for taking the rotovator to the lotty and collecting manure :).

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:06:07 »
Thanks I'll go and speak to the Citroen dealership.  My car is getting trashed with the continual lugging of rotavators and mowers...

RBT
Best laid plans and all that

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 21:31:10 »
We had a towbar fitted to our Focus last spring for around £150 by a recommended local firm, and bought a refurbed 6' x 3' trailer with new wheels and tyres from ebay for about £100
Not too much of an outlay, and great for horsemuck etc in the winter, and camping trips in the summer ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 22:36:10 »
We got a towbar with twin electrics fitted last year on a Citroen C5.  £200.  They came and fitted it at home.  If you shop around you can usually companies who will fit one at home or work.  This is who we used:

http://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal