Author Topic: Lunar planting  (Read 1898 times)

rdak

Lunar planting
« on: August 10, 2004, 08:02:30 »
Has anyone had a go at lunar planting i.e. planning your sowing, transplanting etc by what stage the moon is at. Have done a bit of searching on the subject and there are lots of people who swear by it, but I guess you'd have to be pretty disciplined in keeping records and have to do lots of trials to get anything approaching scientific results.

I guess it could make sense, seeing as the moon affects tides, I suppose it could effect water levels in the soil, plant cells etc, but then most of the sites start talking about the zodiac, which puts me right off!

So anyone here tried it?

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Lunar planting
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 08:41:19 »
I know I read on this site someone had tried and given it up. Have you tried a search or looked back through previous posts. I think it might have been Multiveg who tried.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 09:43:38 »
I have used "Gardening and Planting by the Moon" by Nick Kollerstrom last year and this(£8.99 ISBN 0-572-02912-8 pub. quantum. new edition will have a 15 month calendar starting Oct 2004)  It contains a calendar showing all the moon phases and what type of plant you should work on each day throughout the year. I use this to keep a note of what I actually do each day. I am no scientist, but I don't think there is much in it - it is more use to me as a gardening calendar. I seem to have the same successes and failures as everyone else on our allotment.
Chantenay.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 10:48:51 »
I started using it this year, but found I couldn't make best opportunity for sowing/planting at moonrise/moonset (which I think they said was the better times to do it), and then harvest on the corresponding day. Then, if the weather wasn't playing ball, you lose a week before you can plant/sow/harvest (according to the calendar) - and not harvesting, say, runner beans means that you could be decreasing future crops because the beans have matured. Then, what if you are going to use the same plant, eg, coriander for leaf and then seed, or the strange veg such as kohl rabi - is it a root or a leaf plant.

The waning/waxing and moonrise/moonset arguments seem reasonable. There were days were I wasn't "allowed" to sow/plant the things I wanted to plant out, and then the seedlings get nibbled in the pots in the garden (seem to be less slug damage in the allotment). Though when I was trying to follow the calendar, I wasn't overdoing it. If you can let the moon and zodiac rule your life, and able to sow things at 3am on this day (otherwise have to wait a week) then fine, but I can't go to the allotment in the dark to sow a row of carrots.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 19:38:16 »
Hi Ross
We tried a wee experiment planting tom thumb seeds. We planted half a fortnight before a full moon was due, and the other half on the day the full moon was due (not in the dark!!!). The second batch of seeds germinated before the first lot and were much sturdier plants. This might also have been due to the weather turning a bit warmer by then. Are you thinking of doing a "proper" trial? Let us know what happens!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal