Author Topic: Allotment 'virgins' - m or f.  (Read 7581 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Allotment 'virgins' - m or f.
« on: July 22, 2004, 14:14:17 »
Have you read the Guardian's G2 feature piece on Sally Weale's allotment today?
If not, get it. 3 pages. It might make you feel better. I'll try to get a link to it. = Tim

PS Got it - but without the dashing front page pic!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/0,6957,178327,00.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 14:19:20 by tim »

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re:Allotment 'virgins' - m or f.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 14:27:08 »
Over 60quid a year for an allotment - blimey. I'm lucky only paying 18.

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 16:54:45 »
He, he! I pay a whopping great £3! And it is only a 2 min walk from my house.  Lucky me. What sort of prices does everyone else pay?
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 18:05:50 »
Pure luck, Ava saw a work mate reading it and brought it home for me.  Did make me smile!  And I agree - over 60 quid a year!  I would want a cafe, loo, and piped water for that!  We have 1 and a half plots, which near break the bank.....ahem.....4.50 a year!  Mind you, only spring water from the stream, no loos, shops or services, and you park your car at your own risk down the bumpiest rockiest lane ever!

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 18:39:25 »
So far £12.50 for deposit and £4 for the key to the gate. No rent charges until I start to plant, so that means I can weed my plot free of charge. It will take till christmas to clear up so imight start the year afresh. I think its in the region of £35 - £45 per annum.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 22:00:33 »
I pay £13 a year, which includes water, car park facilities and access any time, any weather (no padlock on gate!)  Sadly no loo, no tearoom other than my greenhouse and no fancy sports facilities, but all the exercise you can take  ;D

There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 23:59:30 »
£14-80 for my plot (half price if you are retired). plenty of car parking space, stand taps at various points (although most people save rain water), VERY understanding garage across the road. access whenever as no padlocked gate, and best of all - wonderful, helpful other lottie holders.
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 09:10:02 »
I’m waiting to hear if I can have a plot, I think my chances are high and will know soon, :D as it was an abandoned allotment and is being redeveloped due to vandalism. :'( They are erecting 8ft high steel railings all around the perimeter, :o not sure what facilities there are as yet but the annual charge is £7.00 I should know for definite in a week, I’m getting excited now. ;D ;D

Roy

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 10:54:44 »
It was £10 for the key, £1 or £2 for the society and it's the rent is free this year but normally it's £12 for a full plot.

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 14:47:24 »
mine's 22 quid for the year with first 6 months free to get things shipshape.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 22:48:36 »
Ours is just about £7 a year because we are retired (also the same for unemployed, disabled etc) but its around £32 otherwise and £1 of that goes our local allotment society.

We have an environmental toilet and water taps on site as wella s a large 'shed' for storing(?) and also space for car parking.  There is also a large rubbish bin which is uplifted once a week but we are not supposed to put weeds or compostable material in it.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 12:32:09 »
I think mine was abou £10/year for a half plot (you can take them by the sq. m) -we have water troughs filled by the mains, and parking, access at any time as there's no padlock.

Jeremy

beastiefishboy

• Not So New ...
  • down and dirty
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 19:28:43 »

i have just got my key for mine today!
best £22 a year i'll ever spend i reckon!
can't wait to get cracking now!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 21:05:53 »
Well done beastiefishboy,  ;) I'm seeing the lottier secretary tomorrow (Wednesday) and fingers crossed hopeing he is going to let me pick a site,  ::)
Jeez I hope I'm right after all this excitement. ;D ;D ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 12:15:31 »
So Roy: Any luck?

Sarah.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 13:20:46 »
[size=32]Yes! I got it!Yippee![/size][/glow]
Although “when” still seems a little hazy, :-\ It appears I am the first to show any interest, so on the down side I am going to be a little bit lonely out there for a while, :'( must get me a transistor radio, having no one’s brains I can pick will be a drawback too,  :'( maybe a laptop pc will be another garden tool to take so I can call all my A4A buddies for guidance. ;D

On the upside it will be rent free for a while to encourage more lottie peeps, ;) there are no facilities at the moment apart from water on tap, but a promise of a secure storage unit and loos to follow, it’s a start. 8)

Roy ;D

beastiefishboy

• Not So New ...
  • down and dirty
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 13:24:18 »
nice one mate!
mine's in an established site but needs so much work to get it ready for the spring!
dont spose anyone knows where i can get cheap tool hire in the nottingham area?

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 13:33:35 »
Well done!

What sort of state is it in then?
Is it a derelict site? - Why isn't there anyone else there?

Sarah.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 14:20:33 »
It was a flourishing Allotment in fact my Dad had a plot there 40 years ago. ::) Two years ago the council decided to pull the plug on it as nearly all the plot holders had suffered vandal damage of some sort or other and were disappearing fast. :'(

They have now reduced it down by about half and are looking to sell the rest of the land. The Lottie now has a brand new 8ft steel railings around the perimeter, the land being neglected for 2 years, has well and truly overgrown. :-\

As to there being no takers as yet, maybe the Lottie peeps are still licking their wounds from the vandalism, >:( plus I don’t think the council have tried very hard to advertise the vacancies as the paint isn’t quite dry on the railings, in fact they haven’t marked out any plots yet. :-\

Roy (still excited) ;D ;D ;D

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 16:59:59 »
Brillient news Roy!  Are the council going to clear it fairly soon so you can get started?  The railings sound more the thing for keeping the trouble out and a promise of loos is a real bonus.
At least having been left for a couple of years its had a good rest and will be well ready for growing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal