Author Topic: Anyone seen any electric propagator thingys in the sales to recommend?  (Read 2460 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Sez it orl really....

;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Not in the sale but I have a couple of Sankey 22" Propagators which are fairly cheap at £19.99 each. They don't come with adjustable thermostats but with a bit of fiddling you can fit one yourself if you want one. Ignore the rubbish about them being out of stock if you want one then send them an email telling them to take a look in their big store on the industrial estate in Newtown they had at least 50 of them in there on Saturday.

Most of my plants don't go in the electric propogators though they go in Plug Plant Trainers I find these much more useful. Not saying how much I spent on them but I have 4 windows stacked top to bottom with em in the spring.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
I bought a large 22" electric jobbie a few years back, one with a thermostat etc. - never use it (well never plug it in anyway).

I only use unheated ones these days, much cheaper to buy and just as easy to regulate the temp. Ie move away from radiator for less heat, or shade a bit more, or put underneath the shelf in the greenhouse, etc

The smaller ones are easier to move around.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Didn't spot anything in Wyevale at the w.e. but wasn't specifically looking.

Even if it's on sale avoid the Bio Green Digital propagator (which I bought on sale last year). Its publicity material is seriously misleading, suggesting that it can get up to 40degC.  In fact it is so low wattage that you'd have to light a fire under it to get much more than 5 deg above ambient. Very poorly insulated too. The Digital control is the only good thing about it - avoid!

Is there anything specific you want the propagator for, and will you be using it indoors or in a GH?

PS I'm a big root trainer fan....as they are standard size they fit in most propagators and are easy to move around.

http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/gardeners/rootrainers/benefits

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:43:04 by Barnowl »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Well it seems to be thumbs down for a leccy propagator but a big thumbs up for the root trainers - thanks Owl for the link 8)

At home I don't have windowsills wider than 6" at widest so anything started off indoors tends to get very leggy, away from the light,  and the cold greenhouse, certainly this year, was just too...well, cold? Still, I've managed most years it's just this year that's been particularly slow.

Thanks again for the link - I've always used peat pots before...time for a change!

Lishka

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
I'm sold on the root trainers, they are £4.50 at our trading post, and I've now got five of them. We use them for all the beans and peas and the sweet peas.

I got an electric propogator this year, it is the one with the 10 little seed trays with covers.  I've got extra trays, which is useful for when they have germinated.  It also takes two full sized seed trays (or trays with root trainers in).  Glad I got it, helps a lot with the peppers and toms.  ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Amongst others, I have a Windowsill Trio propagator. It's not adjustable but I find it works quite well. It's about a quarter of the way down the page. £29.99 seems to be the best internet price.

http://www.cmsgardens.co.uk/propagator.htm

This page shows quite a wide range of propagators at a discount. And heat mats (towards the bottom of the page).

I'm probably a bit obsessive about the power aspect because ideally the propagator goes in my (heated but just to frost free) GH. To germinate some chilli seeds you need temperatures approaching 30 deg C which is likely to be 15-20 deg C over the ambient temperature so the propagator needs to be powerful say 45W (depending on size) and well insulated. Most can be improved by bubble wrap underneath the unit.

Sankey seem pretty good on the power aspect: Sankey PlantmasterJH2027
- http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/HardwareOrders/index1.html?gclid=CI6Jj7PlrZUCFSAtEAodmlpIkw

If you don't need the higher temperature range there's a lot more choice.

PS I'm now up to 10 Root trainers  - but I started last year - wish I'd been able to get them at your price!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal