Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Makes of seeds

(1/4) > >>

micsmum:
Hi all
Just picking your brains.
Have'nt got lottie yet but have been comparing seed prices as I maght neet to buy some in a hurry.
A local DIY,garden centre is selling Mr Fothergills seeds from between £1.45 - £2.99 per packet. The local co-op which is next to my lottie site as selling Unwins seeds from 99p _ £1.50
The packs seem to be thesame size. Does any one have any preferences and does the price make a difference to the seed quality!
Many thanks
Helen

Muddy_Boots:
Apart from 'the gardner! ask Stephan  ( Clio).  He seems to have good source of excellent seeds for good prices.  Alternatively try swap shop!

Kate

Ragged Robin:
...... or try Fothergills website, if you order over a certain amount you can get seeds for 10p a packet, they also have a end of line facility which  range between 50-150p a packet.

MissBaritone:
Try your local Wilkinsons. Their own make seeds start at just 39p. Buy 2 packets and you get the 3rd free and I've always had excellent results from them

The gardener:
I think it is a bit of either / or really.

I prefer to grow by 'variety' rather than by company, although even there, what grows up here in the wild and wooly north might not be as well suited for the south ( and vice versa)

As a member of the Allotments association I get my seeds much cheaper than those bought in shops.

Currently these are supplied by King's seeds.

In saying that this does not mean that my final bill is cheaper than if I had gone to the shops and bought run of the mill stuff.

What I do with the saving is buy F1 hybrid stuff, which is generally more expensive but my results are more guaranteed.

I am also a member of our garden club and we get 33% off with Suttons if our final order is over a certain figure ( I think this is £60.00??)

Then I am the site 'seed merchant' and I have an account with Marshalls who we find are the best onion suppliers, so we get a discount there as well, and this is subject to the ammount we spend.

So I think the best approach is buy collectively.

Another advantage of this is you can mix and match on the plot if you like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version