Author Topic: Bird Feeding Station  (Read 6086 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Bird Feeding Station
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 11:06:33 »
Starlings, Sparrows, Blue Tits, Blackbirds and a Robin mainly, Lorna.  I've seen the odd Chaffinch, Wagtail and Goldfinch too but not on a regular basis.  I wish I could attract Thrushes but I've never seen one in this garden. 

Shame about the Squabs but beauty is in the eye of the beholder eh?   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 13:00:23 »
Really envious of the Blue Tits and Robin. I have only ever seen one Blue Tit in my garden and it was a real beauty but unfortunately didn't hang around :'( :'(

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 20:12:02 »
Okay to add to my wood pigeons and starlings (which I know a lot of people don't like) guess who came visiting today?  Yep, two magpies.  I've never known them to land in the garden before (although I often see them flying around) but they didn't stay around long enough to get a photo.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 23:15:10 »
Hi Georgie
Magpies, Jackdaws, Jays, Wood Pigeons a and Collared Doves have been visiting my garden virtually every day for months along with about 20 other species of small birds.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 11:46:49 »
How lucky you are, Toadspawn, I've never seen a Jay. 

G x

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 13:01:27 »
Hello Georgie and everyone

I have a bird feeding station in the front garden next to my disabled mum's bedroom window so she can look at the birds feeding we have a few regulars to feed a family of Blue Tits, Great Tits, Collared Doves, Starlings, Black Birds and sometimes a Chaffinch and a Greenfinch.

The Blue Tits and Robins are my favorites i have a rosa rugosa hedge in my front garden and i see them flying around and feeding.

I recently added some currants that i had spare in the seed mix and some suet pellets from wilcos and the within 5 mins the table was busy with birds the only problem that scared them off was 1 of neighbours has 16+ cats and one of them caught a large piegon  ::). Apart from that we have a steady flow to the feed during the day nice to see i have noticed that our birds like the feed in nets rather that the clear box or tube feeders

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 19:44:42 »
Hi BB.   :)

I bet your Mum gets a great deal of enjoyment watching all those birds.  But a word of advice if I may?  Food in nets can be dangerous because birds can get their claws trapped and injure themselves.  I always take the fat balls out of the nets and drop them into a metal holder and the birds love them. 

G x

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 21:42:18 »
Hello Georgie

Thanks for the advice i will keep i eye out i would like that to happen, i am always looking for feeders i have tried the metal tube and the plastic square feeders but they seem to scare the birds off since i have but the netted feeders from wilcos i have no problems to date.

I must have picky birds i have put fat balls and 1/2 coconuts and they get wasted my birds seem to like seed or mealworms or a little fruit my friend brought some millet for a joke and attached it to pole and the birds where enjoying that as well.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal