Author Topic: propagating loganberries  (Read 7867 times)

CityChick

• Acre
propagating loganberries
« on: April 17, 2008, 18:31:01 »
Numpty alert ;D 

I can cope with veg, but can someone please help me with fruit :)

I have a thornless loganberry I'd like to propagate and/or move.  Most places say to peg a tip down and wait for it to root.  That sounds like a long time.  I'd rather move it now, but it got left in its pot over winter in our garden and its grown through the bottom and is now firmly rooted to the spot :-[

Is there any other way of taking some sort of cutting from it now?

One place I read said you can't propagate from root cuttings or shoots from roots as they'll revert to thorny loganberries.  Well in its escape attempt it seems to be sprouting again from around the pot (which I assume can only be from its roots).  The shoots at least 6" high and there's not a thorn on them.  Will these shoots grow into more lovely loganberries if I dig them up separately?

davee52uk

• Acre
Re: propagating loganberries
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 18:56:24 »
Loganberries seem to be the ideal fruit - they need little or no attention, give large amounts of fruit and will take a lot of abuse. I once cut one down to ground level and then put a bonfire on top of it. It grew better after this!

If you want to transplant it, it's running a bit late now. This is generally done during Winter when the plant is dormant. You could try digging it up and transplanting. Try and get as much root as possible. You could also try dividing up the plant.

It will grow new bushes from tips that touch onto the floor but you'll have to wait until Autumn.

If you hurry there are bound to be some for sale in Wilkinsons or Woolworth as about a fiver each. Why not buy new? Also if you bush doesn't survive the move then you can always replace it cheaply.

Year's work is to prune out old stock in Autumn and tie up to horizontal wires. Should fruit in July cover the bush with net curtains so that you have fruit and not the birds.

Makes the very best jam and excellent wine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: propagating loganberries
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 23:23:37 »
Dig it up and cut the pot away. It should be fine if it's well watered.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal