Author Topic: calling all compost addicts  (Read 4273 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:calling all compost addicts
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 15:34:09 »
Exactly, Ina - moist but not wet. Thus, if you've added a lot of dry goods, you need to soak them well. = Tim

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2004, 23:01:56 »
I'm quite new to composting - I have two daleks at the plot. One is a temporary home for bits of rubbish like nets and the other is in use. But I find that with only two of us at home and even with friends and work people dumping their =scraps, it never seems to get full. Any ideas?

But, I did have a bit of a fly problem and my plot neighbours suggested putting a few handfuls of dry earth over the surface - it's not got rid of them completely, but has made a HUGE difference.

HB

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004, 23:13:44 »
I throw in the occasional bag of horse muck into my bin to bulk it up and to help get it hot. The only space I have available to put the bin is shady so the horse muck helps to generate much needed heat. Since getting an ants nest in my compost bin I now throw in the occasional bucket of water to keep them away. Don't seem to get any flies around my bin.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2004, 23:28:58 »
HB, have you got a lawn, because even a small one produces lots of cuttings and rakings.  I put anything compostable in my heaps, everything from kitchen waste, hair (I cut the men in this familys barnets), shredded paper if necessary, weeds ( but not marestail or bindweed), annuals, things that have been cut back, even woody stuff if i can chop it down a bit.  I am almost opposite to you and have toooo much stuff.  As I am growing pumpkins in my lottie heap it is currently full and out of action, so I am bagging stuff up and heaping it up around the back of my shed!

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2004, 09:10:24 »
Hi EJ,

I don't have a garden I'm afraid, let alone a lawn - that's why the plot is extra-precious! But, I do have free access to well rotten manure at my local stables - all you can get in your car, which is fab! So I'll do that instead.
Great advice - thank you all

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 18:01:07 »
HB... Doesn't it make your car smell??

Hee!  Hee!  ;D

Debs.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 19:23:03 »
HB... Doesn't it make your car smell??

Hee!  Hee!  ;D

Debs.

Not if it's bagged and tied  ;D  I'm lucky that at my local stables they bag it for me, all I need to do is collect and pay 25p per bag. It's also good for recycling, all my empty potting soil bags are left for them to re-fill with horse muck.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal