Author Topic: first babies  (Read 1720 times)

springbok

• Hectare
first babies
« on: April 15, 2008, 22:50:17 »
as most of you know, its the very first time i have ever grown anything in my life.

Imagine my excitement when I took a peek under the fleece of my potato sacks today to see i have babies  :D  peeking up from the soil.... I was overjoyed lol.

Checked my other beds, and if by magic i have babies of everything, lettuce, radishes, brocolli, cauli, cabbage, beetroot.....tiny tiny little leaves poking up under the polytunnels....its like they appeared overnight as they were not there yesterday :D :D :D

My friends came too look, my kids were overjoyed. my neighbours came to look too lol...

Everyone who doesnt grow veg are amazed at all the babies now!!

I am being asked now to grow extra for them :D

I also wanted to thank everyone on here for all the advice, kindness and help I have had since I started.... its all becoming worth all the effort at last :) :) :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: first babies
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 22:55:37 »
Well done.  :)

I noticed my first babes today too, no matter how long you've been doing it its always great to see your first seedlings of the year.

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 23:04:42 »
 ;D Well done springbokgirlie!! I bet you are feeling so proud and so you deserve to!!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 23:44:50 »
Seeing the germination of new plants always excites me.

As an aside, we were asked at work to fill in a staff 'profile' for update purposes (again).

One of the questions, which I and colleagues objected to filling in, was 'religious beliefs' ...

After thinking long and hard, wearing a wry smile, I wrote Earth Magic for that is what I believe takes place when I sow seeds.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 00:13:31 »
Even after all these years I still get a buzz when I see the fresh seedlings emerging in their rows. Almost as good as popping the first pea pod of the season.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:55:57 »
We are such wonderful people us growers.

We adore our newly born, raise them with love and tenderness, carefully watch over them, feed and water them, worry about them.

Protect them from predators

See them mature in to adulthood with pride.

Then we eat them

I suppose for religious beliefs 'vegetable cannibal' would fit quite well.

The old Wicca or witchcraft religion was all about nature and the elements even though the Christians tried to demonise  it to establish their new faith.

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:00:34 »
 WACTH OUT  FOR THE SLUGS NOW.
I LIKE THIS TIME BEST,AND WHEN YOU EAT THEM
         WELL DONE
               :D :D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:25:06 »
I presume you cook the slugs first, you must give me the recipe!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46:34 »
My container potatoes are breaking through ahead of the same varieties planted in beds (at the same time).

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:50:49 »
IT ALL GOES IN THE PIE
ALLABOUTLIVERPOOL

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59:30 »
I'm away from my babies for 3 days. I keep in constant touch with the OH giving step by step instructions every morning and afternoon. Its worse than having kids :D ::)

They are doing very well and I am very happy ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:04:10 »
Love this time of year too. Just wish it was a bit warmer as I worry about them..........out there in the cold.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 17:05:30 »
even after 35 years, I still worry nothing's going to grow, imagine my relief when they do  ;D

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 18:06:00 »
even after 35 years, I still worry nothing's going to grow, imagine my relief when they do  ;D
I've got an awful lot more worrying to do then... it's only been just over a year. ;)
Thas a rummun !!

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 23:39:50 »
It's my first year too!  Had a good long plot day today, put my potatoes in and planted out my broad bean babies that I started in my zip up greenhouse.  Put in a few beetroot seeds and carrots between my onions!!  (companion planting!)  It's all very exciting!  I bought  some pickling onions on the market in October and never got round to pickling them, in January OH was about to throw them away and I said no way I'll plant them.  They're doing better than my onion sets that I paid a fair penny for!  Feel really proud that it's starting to look like a plot and not a jungle!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 10:14:30 »
Well nowt happening at lottie but.........one of my container potatoes is showing its leaves! Yippee!  My kids are complaining that I mollycoddle the plants more than them, laughed their socks off when they saw me covering the mini plastic gh in blankets the other week!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal