Author Topic: Email Service Recommendations  (Read 1793 times)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Email Service Recommendations
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:28:16 »
I am looking for an email service (not ISP-based). Looking at the info on the sites of various outfits that sell these services I am amazed how little they tell you, ... and hence being an old cynic I tend to assume that unless they explicitly say that they provide a feature then they do not. So, I am struggling a bit at the moment.

Can you help? In outline my shopping list includes ...

* support for local PC client (Outlook 2003 in my case) to store emails locally - web only email not suitable

* support for POP (inbound traffic) and SMTP (outbound)

* web access to emails from any PC

* MUST be reliable (as it will be used for work-related traffic as well as personal)

* ideally unlimited traffic (or at least 1GB per month)

* support for own domain name

* effective spam filtering.

Free services are unlikely to cut the mustard.

Any recommendations?

Thanks .. in advance

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Email Service Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:24:26 »
have a look at
http://www.freeparking.co.uk/default.asp?f=13    £4.99 including domain

or for a better service get some webspace from someone such as supanames which have various tarrifs and email accounts from £13.99

http://www.supanames.co.uk/hosting/linux

(dont be worried that its linux hosting if your a windows user it wont affect your PC, IN FACT avoid windows hosting if possible)

HTH Glo

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:25:32 »
I've been using gmail for some time with my own domain (through google apps). Free as free can be. I design enterprise messaging solutions for a living - and its reet for me!

Ticks all your boxes above.

I tried Windows Live Mail with Outlook using the 'Outlook Connector', but it was a bit hit and miss. GMail allows POP and IMAP access, but the IMAP access is a bit funky as GMail uses lables rather than folders. For POP mail it is perfect though.

Tim

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:34:59 »
I second the Googlemail recommendation but someone will need to send you and invite (I think?) Gtalk the IM withit is very good, busy chatting to my sister-in-law in Oz now.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:38:48 »
I second the Googlemail recommendation but someone will need to send you and invite (I think?) Gtalk the IM withit is very good, busy chatting to my sister-in-law in Oz now.

I think the old days of being invited during the beta testing phases are long gone.

I've had a quick go of Gtalk, and I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I still find Windows Live Messenger (MSN) or Skype a bit more feature rich. Each to their own of course.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 23:28:35 »
I may be able to help. I can offer everything except support for Outlook 2003 although the email part of that  program canot be much different to configure to Thunderbird. PM if interested.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal