Author Topic: A few questions.  (Read 1667 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
A few questions.
« on: July 21, 2004, 22:21:23 »
As I have far to much weed for the compost heap I am burning it all. But what to do with the ash. Is it alright just to turn this into the soil or should I put it on the compost heap?  ??? What can be grown in ashy soil?  ??? Also is there anyway of getting my bonfire burning instead of smoking?  ??? I have a two month wait for the chemicals that would make "Greek fire"  ;D

TRailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:A few questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:49:03 »
I'd start another heap, Trailrat!  Can't have too much compost!  :)

The other thing - taking the weeds off the plot removes a fair bit of soil; at least via the compost heap, the soil comes back, refreshed and enriched.  

- Using a compost heap on my old plot - my beds were 6 inches higher than path level.

- Some of those who didn't use compost heaps - their beds were 4 inches LOWER than path level.  That's a lot of soil to lose.

I've skimmed two (out of an eventual 10) beds, and already have a "turf" heap about 2x2x1 metres.  Next heap starts this week.

Good luck - Gavin

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:A few questions.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 09:12:28 »
Thoughts -
1. Ash is good for the soil. You are unlikely to have too much. If you want to keep it, keep it dry.
2. Bonfires are anti-social & pollute.
3. Start with a REALLY hot fire - cardboard etc. Use only dry material if possible. At least for a start.
4. Remember not to leave your fire unattended. Means don't make it so big that you have to stay with it all night!! = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal