Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 1372 times)

Clare Cooper

• Not So New ...
Garlic
« on: April 13, 2008, 20:40:20 »
Don't laugh at my question but.....can I just plant a clove of garlic in the ground or do I have to plant it in something special and any special way?  In which case does anyone have any garlic spare that I could try?  I understand there are lots of different types but know no more!!

Many thanks for any advice.

Best wishes
Clare

springbok

• Hectare
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 20:42:02 »
Hi clare,

best advice, is just go buy some in your local supermarket.  Break up the cloves and put them in the ground.

However I think its a bit late to do them at the moment, there are some threads in basics about garlic that may help :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 20:47:24 »
Agree too late to plant now. need to plant in Autumn are Feb/early March

Clare Cooper

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 13:44:43 »
Thanks for advice, will grow next year.  I had some with small green tips that were growing so thought they might be worth planting.  Will do some proper research and go for it next year!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:41:30 »
you will only get little garlic if you plant now but do it just like an onion, perhaps a little lower in the ground.

Try some sprouting cloves (not the full bulb) to get the idea. It is supposed to ward off certain garden pests (as well as vampires)

Keeping garlic in the fridge tells them that it is time to sprout.

Same with onions.

Plant on the shortest day of the year and harvest on longest day.  Works for Shallots, Onions &  garlic.

You don't have to be exact but it is a handy way to remember when to pant.

Potatoes, remember the Irish link and plant as soon as viable after St Patrick's day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal