Author Topic: Squash swap  (Read 6540 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Squash swap
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:00:01 »
I sorted out my squash seeds last night to decide which ones I want to grow this year. Having got them all out though it reminded me that we did say that a squash swap on the lines of the Jeannines tomato swap and CityChicks bean swap may be a good idea.

I am happy to organise this if anyone wants to join.

I'll post the rules if we have any interest.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
Re: Squash swap
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:29:45 »
count me in!

barkingdog

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:55:48 »
Add me in - half a plot & too many packets of seeds even though you only get a few.  I could cover our plot and next doors with squash alone if they all germinate.  Would like variety rather than quantity!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:00:04 »
Yes I was thining of about 4 seeds per packet as I only normally grow one of each thing - and if I want to save them I grow one in isolation.

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 17:35:26 »
Yes please!!!!!!   I have some self saved not sure of the name but tasted very good and ate the skin too!  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 20:27:07 »
So far 4 of us which probably isn't enough - :-\  need about 10 I think to make it worthwhile and let everyone have a little variety.

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 18:18:28 »
I'll join, if you'll let me (live in Denmark,so the post to and from Uk takes three working days) I think I still have some nice varieties from the Real seed cat.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 01:57:48 »
I thought Iwould bump this up and post the rules so we see if we can get to the ten I think are needed to make this work. So far there are 4 on the list.
Barkingdog
Froglets
Twirlie
Thewoodle

As per the tomato and bean swaps you get as many seeds back as you put in - but different varieties so you can extend your collections.

Please read these (suggested) instructions they are a direct copy from Jeannine and Citychicks instructions - hopefully they don't mind me copying. 

Seeds to be in packets of 4, clearly labelled with relevant information, ie:
name
type (winter squash, pumpkin)
source (home saved or store bought)
date of saving/purchase and if you have it the sow by date.
your A4A username (just so if I drop the lot I know who sent what)

Seeds must be sent to me in a bubble wrap envelope.  Also enclose a label with your name and address on (just written on a piece of paper will be fine) AND loose stamps to at least the same amount you used to send your seeds to me.  I’ll use these and recycle your envelope to return the new seeds to you.

Send as many packets as you like, you’ll get the same number back.

- don’t send the most common squash type
- not too many multiples of any one variety
- must be recognised squash ie not “the one with no name that Uncle Henry’s been growing for 45 years” UNLESS it is exceptional or unusual in some way and you have to tell us
- as per the tomato/bean swap it will be completely pot luck ie not possible to do requests for specific squash seeds
- I suggest we restrict this to winter squash and pumpkins - unless there is a clamouring to include summer squash or other curcubits. You will need to let me know on this, I have lots of different courgettes but the difference in flavour is very subtle - its just the shape and colour that distinguishes them.
- happy to include people overseas on checking the customs for squash seeds they don't require phytosanitary certification. We will just need to watch postage though as more difficult to enclose valid stamps.
Feel free to add any thoughts or comments.

And sign up on this thread if you’re interested. Its not a firm commitment – just trying to guage numbers and get ideas to see if we can make this happen.

Over to you!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 20:41:56 »
Pinged this one to the top - not many takers so far, five with littlebabybird joining. Happy to go with the five if thats all as we will need to sow in May at the latest for some of the long day varieties.

So if no more takers will pm my address to participants on Monday.  :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 09:30:44 »
Count me in as well - though I am not sure where they will all go ;D ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:33 »
Don't worry Tin Shed, part of my logic is that I bought several different packets & with only half a plot & lots of other thing sto grow, I have lots of seeds left over.

So........  I'm going to swap them for different squash seeds and  plant them instead! 
Sorted!!!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 22:27:33 »
Look like there are six of us, which should be manageable. I wnet a bit mad ordering squash seed from USA and my OH (and now I) says that even if i had 2 acres of land i could never sow them all. What he doesn't seem to understand is my masterplan is to have a 10 acre small holding.  :o

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 17:57:14 »
Oh go on then... can I join too? Both the squash seed swap and as a member of the "I need a 10 acre small holding" club! LOL ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 00:53:38 »
Seed addiction is a killer isn't it!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 10:52:55 »
Seed addiction is a killer isn't it!
I hav only had it for 6 months, please tell me it gets no worse i dont have space to grow the ones i have

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 12:53:52 »
Unfortunately its a progressive illness with no cure.  :o I now have a hamper for my seed collection - it ougrew first the cake tin and then the bread bin pretty quickly.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 19:06:27 »
Received CityChicks seeds today.
 :)

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 07:33:48 »
mine will be sent today  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 19:41:04 »
Have got Littlebabybirds  :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 19:47:34 »
you can count me in I'm up for that practically brought up on squash coming from south Africa sure if you got hold of springbokgirlie she would be as well let me know

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal