Author Topic: URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE :(  (Read 1686 times)

springbok

• Hectare
URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE :(
« on: April 11, 2008, 21:08:52 »
Hi there,

I installed Microsoft office 2007 yesterday and its totally screwed up my pc.

My pc will not boot into windows xp or into safemode, it just  hangs.

I have reinstalled XP in a new folder C:\windows1 on my hard drive.

How can i remove office and get back to my old version of windows??

Anyone who can help me I would be eternally grateful.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE :(
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 22:23:48 »
Hi

It's a very odd problem that you have. Installing Microsoft Office shouldn't install any device level drivers (apart from a virtual printer). The fact you can't get past safemode sounds quite sinister. There's usually a thing called 'last known good', but my experience with it has been mixed - it doesn't work that often.

So, you've reinstalled windows into a new folder, which comes with its own problems, due to sharing profile and program file directories. But, the old copy should still be available when you boot up. You 'should' have two options when you boot, one will boot you into your old copy (which doesn't work), the other into the new one that does.

I would suggest the best course of action would be to first copy everything that is important off of your machine somewhere else. This can be done through the new installation - or parallel installation as it's known in the tech world. Then pop your windows XP CD in and it'll boot setup. When you go to install (don't press R to repair), it should detect the previous installation and ask do you want to repair it. Hopefully you'll be able to discern between the two installs you have (not sure - worse case, do both?). That should take you back to a fresh install, but with all your profiles, registry, applications etc. You should then be able to delete Windows1 folder.

The following webpage has excellent instruction; which essentially what I said but a bit more step by step. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good Luck!

Tim

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 00:33:05 »
Tried to repair the old version it still hung.

I need to retrieve my XP code from the first install of XP, do you know how I can do that.

I cant upgrade to service pack 2 on the new install as it is now saying my key is invalid.

:(

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 23:04:11 »
Sounds like ur version of XP might be pirated ? :-\

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 00:02:28 »
Not pirated but two xps with same number cant happen?

Will this help

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal