Author Topic: Broad Beans not setting  (Read 1142 times)

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
Broad Beans not setting
« on: April 14, 2008, 18:33:39 »
Hi

I have super aquadulce planted outside since last November and Suttons planted in the polytunnel since November. Both crops are flowering profusely but the lower flowers are turning black and falling off without setting. Thought maybe polytunnel ones were due to lack of pollination but the outside ones?

Anyone with any ideas?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Broad Beans not setting
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 18:48:22 »
Mine look the same as yours Fuchsia, I wonder if its the cold spring we're having. Ive seen bumble bees but not too often and never on my beans :(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 19:58:25 »
Could be flowering too early for the season. I haven't seen much out either; I'm just hoping my Cambridge Gage, which is in full bloom, gets pollinated.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 20:31:40 »
Sorry, I don't know.  I will be surprised if mine flourish I brought them on indoors and went to the plot at a nice sunny time yesterday morning to get caught by a hail storm planting them out!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 15:04:23 »
planted in the polytunnel

I think the clue might be here!

No pollinators is normally the problem for lack of flower set.

Can bees get into your tunnel?

It would be advisable to leave the tunnel door open a couple of hours before and after lunch to let the pollinators in.

You could try manual pollination but from what you say the flowers seem to have aborted, hope I am wrong for your sake.

This is one reason I never bother with autumn sown beans, i.e. 'pollinator availabilty' and I would say even more so if growing under cover like you have unless you encourage them in.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal