Author Topic: Old seeds dead or alive?  (Read 3282 times)

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
Old seeds dead or alive?
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:52:58 »
Hi Guys and Gals

I have been given a packet of sunflower seeds from a family friend and potted them up but its been about 2 weeks now and nothing seems to have happened.  The packet is probably about 2 years old and was kept on a window sill in direct sun for that time.  The printing has faded now so  I have no instructions and expected germination times etc.  I planted them about 3/4 inch below surface and compost has been kept moist and warm on a windowsill.

So what do you think?  Are my seeds a lost cause or should I wait a little longer to see if they germinate?

Thanks

Michael

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Old seeds dead or alive?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:18:25 »
It doesn't sound as if the seeds were kept in the most ideal conditions, but I would give them a bit longer before writing them off. My sunflowers are in my cold greenhouse and just showing some signs of germination after almost two weeks.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:36 »
Hi Deb

Thanks for the heads up.  Sounds like I ought to hang on for naother week or so.  It's not a massive problem as this weekend I helped the mothering law pot some sunflowers she bought.  I recon there should be a spare or two I could borrow on a permanent basis.

Michael

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:56:29 »
Sunflower seeds I bought the other day said a germination time of 2 - 3 weeks, so hang on a bit. Having said that, they must like my windowsill because they poked up within 4 days!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 21:02:41 »
Buying books in Germany last week, I found, when I unpacked them, that 5 free sunflower seeds were included (symbolic?) so I put them (the seeds) in a plastic pot with water and damp rags inside a plastic bag in the airing cupboard, as I do with all seeds. Two days later they are putting out big fat roots.

I don't like to take any trouble with seeds that are not viable. If they put out roots I plant them in pots with compost, and if they don't, I don't.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 21:06:48 »
I've just put my saved seeds into a bag on damp kitchen towel..saves messing about with duff seeds  ;D

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 22:33:08 »
One of the younguns jobs as it were is climbing the tree and hanging the fat balls ,A few weeks ago he came into the shed with a sunflower seed scraped out of one of the balls , he put it on a ledge till he saw me filling pots with compost , pinched one pushed  his seed in and left it to me to ?care for, Its the one three pots away from this end nearest the glass

mrf94

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 07:02:15 »
27 up and counting  ;D

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:49:27 »
Hi Guys and Gals

Could not wait any longer been about 5 weeks or so no.  I scooped out the compost and the seeds showed no signs of growth so I have given up on them and used the posts for something else.  The mother in law has planted some new seeds so I shall nab a couple of those once they germinate.  Thanks for all your advice any way.

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal