Author Topic: A bit of motivation needed.  (Read 1350 times)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
A bit of motivation needed.
« on: April 14, 2008, 14:07:42 »
Hi all, I need a bit of a kick up the bum, I've been meaning to get down to the plot for the last few days but everytime I plan to go it rains.

I was going to cycle over last night but it rained on the way home from visiting so I decided against it. I planned to go tonight after work but we keep getting those short heavy showers which is really putting me off.

I need to get some areas dug over including a trench for my asparagus crowns that are at my Dad's but the thought of trying to do anything with water logged ground isn't filling me with joy and an extra hour down the gym seems so much more appealing!

Help!!

Esre
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

albacore1854

• Half Acre
Re: A bit of motivation needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 14:12:52 »
how on earth is the gym better than your plot?
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

mo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 14:17:09 »
i've just got my allotment and cant think of were i'd rather be! get yourself down there unless of course you don't want to. It took me, what seemed ages to get my plot and envyed everyone who had one so appreciate what you have. I was out in the rain yesterday but isnt that all part of being outdoors and enjoying what you have? ;)

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 14:20:44 »
as soon as we got our plot, the gym membership was cancelled  :)

I know exactly what you mean about the rain though, I have a small area to weed and level before I put my raised beds in, but the soil is too wet to be walking about on, so it will have to wait a day or two.  :-[

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 14:30:45 »
Yes the rain can be very off putting.A few days off does no harm if it revs up the energy levels.

Sometimes I look at pictures of other peoples plots and ask myself why cant I get mine to look like that.Sometimes the pictures inspire me,sometimes they get me down.

I suppose what I am trying to say is you can't have that lets go down the lottie feeling all the time.However I would be lost without my little plot and the more I read on this site I have learnt not to take it for granted.

Summers coming ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 15:18:30 »
It'll still be there tomorrow Esre, you can't be motivated every day.  I rarely go to mine if it's raining as my soil is too heavy to do anything with and what I'm not working with is covered, so nowt much to do really.  My rule of thumb is if the rain is lasting longer than 20 minutes, then it's pointless as it'd be like being in Glastonbury without the fun bits!   ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 15:57:13 »
...get yerself some nice light roomy waterproof trousers & jacket & wide brimmed hat & head down there anyway....even 20 mins of work can yield some rewarding results. I can't think of many days so far this year when it hasn't rained & I've been outside in all of them doing little jobs in my tiny garden....even if all I do is pick up yet another bucket full of f*g butts from round the edge of the patio ::)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 18:03:08 »
Have you got a shed or greenhouse down there? If it's raining you could goin there, do some sorting and planning and look out at the plot. Having siad that, I admit I'm a fair weather gardener myself!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 18:08:55 »
It's annoying when you want to get on with something specific, but I find once I'm down there, I still manage to find loads to do! Could you temporarily cover the area with something to keep the worst of the rain off?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 19:08:25 »
I know exactly what you mean, I don't mind a light shower but see no point standing in the drenching rain not able to get on with what I need to do - like digging! Strangely enough I don't mind it in the snow.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal