Author Topic: chillies and toms  (Read 1239 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
chillies and toms
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:42:00 »
my chillies and toms are still very small and don't seem to be growing much, I have put them indoors where it is warm and they get lots of sunlight what can I do to make them grow or should I start again

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: chillies and toms
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:47:38 »
I have all my stuff in unheated greenhouses and they arent moving very fast either.....but they are not dying so thats good.

When it gets warmer things will start moving.I believe they are in a dormant stage at the moment.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

lee79

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:48:50 »
Same here.  A few of my toms have shot up, with some of the peppers getting bigger.  The majority though are still quite small.
I keep mine on the window sill through the day, and then on shelving through the night to keep the cold off.

Sheffield Chillies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:53:55 »
I'm not sure of your set up but if they've been in the same soil for a while or the roots are filling the pot, then as you'll already know, I'm sure, re-potting them will surely work.
Do you use a tomato feed or kelp/seaweed fertilizer?
Give them room to stretch out a bit.
If your growing Hydroponically there would seem to be a nutrient problem.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 15:10:28 »
my chillies and toms are still very small and don't seem to be growing much,

I would say this happening to most people including me its basically down to the weather and available light.

Now that you have raised the temperature and given them maximum light they should start romping away.

But watch the watering..............if they are not growing fast they are not using a lot of water...........let them tell you when they want water.........usually they sulk and droop their shoulders when they want a drink.

Testing the weight of the pot can help you to judge better as well............light pot needs water, heavy pot doesn't!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 15:55:22 »
Mine aren't growing much either, they are in my unheated greenhouse.
except for the couple I have in my kitchen window and they were sown later.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal