Author Topic: Got the greenhouse Help!!  (Read 3507 times)

Teena

• Not So New ...
Got the greenhouse Help!!
« on: April 14, 2008, 16:46:03 »
Got the greenhouse up and on site and full of cuttings and seedlings BUT we are going away for a week on saturday. - not good timing - i booked it before i knew we'd got the gh ;)
and even though i have got another plottie to keep and eye on things ;) I was wondering if theres anything I can or should do before we leave.
we have put net curtains all round inside as the chillies burnt yesterday.
its so different and quite confusing knowing what to do - on the land i can cope , in the gh i feel like a complete novice.

Teena

betula

• Hectare
Re: Got the greenhouse Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 16:55:50 »
Yes if you are using a greenhouse you do have to be hands on.

If you can get someone to water that is great but I think the shading and ventilation are important and when my greenhouse was up last year I lost some plants because of going away.

It may be safer to ask someone to look after them at home. :)

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 19:03:03 »
Yes i agree with betula, with greenhouse horticulture there are no big jobs (once the thing is built!) but there are lots of regular small chores so you need to get someone to the greenhouse or the seedlings to someone.
If you leave them even for a few days things will start to die.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 22:21:42 »
If you do not already have one, get an automatic vent opener.  Easy to fit and should cost around £20.  It will aid circulation if temperatures get too hot. 8)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0423735/Trail/searchtext>GREENHOUSE.htm

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 22:34:25 »
You can buy a shading paint that you can put on the glass.

I am waiting for my new greenhouse to go up but last year I used to throw over a green net that worked fairly well. :)

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 23:09:04 »
Look for work being done on scaffolding. They use a fine mesh nylon which is great for shading. I've got a piece that goes over the roof and covers the two sides.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 21:01:00 »
Look for work being done on scaffolding. They use a fine mesh nylon which is great for shading. I've got a piece that goes over the roof and covers the two sides.

And it's pretty cheep to buy new...

http://www.uktarps.co.uk/index.php?cat=Netspan_Scaffold_Debris_Netting
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Teena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:01:05 »
Thanks for the advice ;D

I hadn't realised just how much work was involved in having a greenhouse. we have managed for a couple of years now without one by using the spare room but since we moved to a smaller flat theres just no space and we were lucky to be given this gh. 

2 of my fellow plotholders are going to keep an eye on things then we are doing the same for them when they go away later in the year - a little bit of cooperation goes a long way ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal