Author Topic: Gardeners World Allotment  (Read 32508 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Gardeners World Allotment
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2008, 11:05:08 »
Really enjoyed it, and it is great to see allotments featured on TV by one of the main presenters of Gardeners World.  We have been asking for years to have something like this on TV, so I don't think we should be arguing too much about it, even though it is not perfect. We were lucky years ago if they featured one thing about veggie growing on TV gardening programmes, so to have this is great and it shows how the tide has turned. Will look forward to following his progress.  :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2008, 11:22:14 »
It's an annual event - everytime there is something about allotments or growing veg on the TV, some people on here slate it and get really nasty and personal.  It happened with the Carol Klein programme last year because it wasn't aimed at the experienced gardener on here but at the complete beginner - it would be interesting to know how many people joined this board as a result of that programme.  It happened when the Beeb did/didn't show the Big Dig.  I have stayed out of this up to now because I didn't watch it and because last year, when I defended the CK programme, they turned on me.

Campaign slogan for A4A:
All gardening programmes should be clones of The Victorian Kitchen Garden (which is a damned fine programme btw)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2008, 11:47:14 »
Wow  everyone getting very heated.  I stupidly missed most of it as I had fallen asleep!  I generally can't keep awake that time of night of a Friday!  Old age I think!

I think that it is important though to encourage debate - just to show that there are many differing views all - in their own way - having some merit!

I am keeping out of this one but can't wait for Friday evening to see what I missed!  Bet I can't stay awake though!

Old Bird

;D

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2008, 16:14:32 »
yes, victorian kitchen garden. Harry Dodson rules.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2008, 17:01:40 »
It's very disappointing to see such heated and ill thought comments by what I'm sure is a minority. The saying " each to their own " has  a truth to it, if you don't like the style of the feature, then don't watch again!! There are many people on this site who take great pleasure and plentiful knowledge from GW, and the fact that one of the presenters is starting as a complete novice, using his own style ( which we all have ) i think is to be applauded. Lets remember, we all have one common love.... our lotties, and gardens. Lets chill out and enjoy. :) :) :) Rant over
Thas a rummun !!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2008, 17:48:01 »
I find what you say a bit arrogant andy pandy. Its not 'ill thought' as if there's something deeply evil about what you call 'a minority' on this forum, its just an opinion about a program. I dont actually wish any 'ill thoughts' on anyone.

The reason I'm critical is BECAUSE I like gardening and having a plot and all the work that goes with it. I also realise the media is not always honest or realistic.

I really like this forum and the fact we can differ in our opinions and I wouldn't put down or label anyone as anything just because they didn't like a part of gardeners world.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2008, 17:52:41 »
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Joe Swift according to the BBC website bills himself as a gardening expert.He doesn't say I can draw things, lay paving slabs, and charge people, but I'm a bit of a plum when it comes to growing veg.We are told he is an expert, of all things gardening.

As such I would expect a gardening expert to be a bit good at things.At the very least to have the common sense that two pieces of wood when cut square, cannot be fixed together at any angle other than 90degrees, regardless of what size nails you use.

Proud to be a Trelawny man!

alfie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2008, 18:10:48 »
I have just caught  up with the GW episode in qustion and really enjoyed watching. I hope the programme inspires others to think about setting up their own allottments who perhaps havent considered it before.Thats because people who grow their own are generally more enviromentally friendly,eat healthier and get more exercise as a result. This can only be a good thing.
             I smiled at Joe's enthusiasm and keeness ro learn and do well and wish him well. I look forward to the next episode.

just call me Dottie Lottie.........

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2008, 18:16:14 »
Good point Albacore but perhaps he thought a rough finish more "authentic".

As to location, this site suggests he's in Enfield

http://www.reelfilmlocations.co.uk/news_detail.php?id_news=2

I do like Joe and his enthusiasm, even the irregular beds, but you can like someone and still disapprove of what they're doing  :)

I think the proof of the pudding will be whether he makes it really clear that a) he's lost a lot of top soil and b) created a very time consuming problem for himself (the couch grass) and advises others not to do the same.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2008, 18:29:25 »
I've thought of a better way to explain my view on this I think.

If you  paid school fees (licence fee) to send your child to be educated by a qualified teacher, you would expect that if they had a lesson, the master, would at least demonstrate a level of proficiency in the area being taught.If the school didn't have those skills, you would quite rightly assume they would cast out the net, to bring in a subject matter expert to fulfil their obligation to educate all the little darlings whose parents have an expectation of what they will be learning.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2008, 19:02:25 »
I find what you say a bit arrogant Andy Pandy. Its not 'ill thought' as if there's something deeply evil about what you call 'a minority' on this forum, its just an opinion about a program. I don't actually wish any 'ill thoughts' on anyone.

The reason I'm critical is BECAUSE I like gardening and having a plot and all the work that goes with it. I also realise the media is not always honest or realistic.

I really like this forum and the fact we can differ in our opinions and I wouldn't put down or label anyone as anything just because they didn't like a part of gardeners world.

Apologies to you Sawfish, and anyone else that i may have  offended, i really didn't mean to!!  ;)  At the end of the day i felt it was good that he came along and did his own thing, and not waltz on, click his fingers and hey presto, a pristine lottie. Once again, No offence intended.  ;D
Thas a rummun !!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2008, 19:29:19 »
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Joe Swift according to the BBC website bills himself as a gardening expert.He doesn't say I can draw things, lay paving slabs, and charge people, but I'm a bit of a plum when it comes to growing veg.We are told he is an expert, of all things gardening.

As such I would expect a gardening expert to be a bit good at things.At the very least to have the common sense that two pieces of wood when cut square, cannot be fixed together at any angle other than 90degrees, regardless of what size nails you use.

I think Joe's history of garden design has come to the fore so to speak, if you see the BBC press office article on Joe, it says he studied garden design at Chelsea Physic Garden ? , and now has his own company designing and building gardens in the London area,  to the purists among you, i guess his style is slightly unorthodox, but fun none the less, what do you reckon?
Thas a rummun !!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2008, 19:50:22 »
Sorry for being a big moan, you know I love you all really.
 :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2008, 20:02:36 »
The one good thing I see is that if they follow it over a period it may show up the consequences of all the instant gardening the telly has been peddling for years. Slow and sure is the way to go for the long term.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2008, 20:50:07 »
It happened when the Beeb did/didn't show the Big Dig. 

Now don't ask me why but that's a program I could watch over and over. Indeed I have in fact, I've seen the whole series 4 or 5 times and I could still watch it again without getting bored.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2008, 21:02:27 »
I totally agree Plot 69, you got to love the guys over in Wales. Great viewing
Thas a rummun !!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2008, 21:14:13 »
I missed GW last friday (so caught up in corry I forgot to press record) but after reading this I can,t wait for next friday to make my own mind up
as for big dig it was on all day a while back, afraid I got bored
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

powerspade

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2008, 21:59:01 »
I missed the programme so I though I would look at it on IPlayer unfortunately Iplayer will not work for me. Anyone else had the same problems?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2008, 12:24:35 »
iplayer has a couple of funny quirks - I have a google speed-up-the-internet feature that has to be turned off to use iplayer. They have quite a good help section...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2008, 12:41:34 »
I watched the programme last night. I agree about the problems that have been created by the scraping and rotovating but overall enjoyed the programme. Unlike some others I think it was an interesting idea to show an a beginner (at veg growing and allotmenteering) setting out to create an allotment from the beginning. For all the newcomers that our hobby is currently attracting it seems the programme may hold particular relevance.
I think the "warts and all" approach if shown properly could provide usefull information for beginners though I can see it may not be particularly relevant to the experienced allotmenteer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal