Author Topic: Gardeners World Allotment  (Read 32505 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Gardeners World Allotment
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2008, 18:54:04 »
manicscousers to bad your garden info is out of date. Since, your info is how it was done not how it should be done.  May be joe will let you hold his hoe some time. But you can also tell him how you still plant in rows and then thin since you planted to thickly.
my bet joe will have better production in his allotment then you old timers  get 5 years.
Since he will be using modern techniques.

Manics are very experienced veg growers and I for one am pleased to learn from their experience.

You are being a bit cocky Mr 838 carrots :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2008, 18:56:21 »
There's lots of good information in some of the old books, all you have to do is adapt it a bit. What I don't like is the modern picture books which all repeat the same tired old stuff.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2008, 19:00:17 »
Robert_Brenchley by picture books I assume mean ones like monty don's

"The complete gardener"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2008, 19:09:15 »
manicscousers to bad your garden info is out of date. Since, your info is how it was done not how it should be done.  May be joe will let you hold his hoe some time. But you can also tell him how you still plant in rows and then thin since you planted to thickly.
my bet joe will have better production in his allotment then you old timers  get 5 years.
Since he will be using modern techniques.

you don't know us and I don't think it's appropriate for you to pass judgement on how we do things  ???
I was actually talking about the 'old guys', our way of growing things is so different to how they do things, they shake their heads at US !!!!
and what the h*ll are you talking about?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 19:11:17 by manicscousers »

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2008, 19:33:06 »
I just want to say that I have had nothing but sound good advice from the manics I always read their posts and get probably  more support for my questions from them than anyone else. What is the problem? All of a sudden its got personal also all this cr**p about newbies not wanting to work hard etc is pathetic
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2008, 19:35:14 »
What a shame- I was enjoying the varied reactions to GW and now it's got personal.  :(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2008, 19:37:15 »
Who let the trolls in?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2008, 22:44:38 »
Oh well...we all have our own styles to things..when any newbie ask how to do things...
I explain how I do it and why...and let them to digest the info..they are more than likely garden they way with a bit of my way... :)
Everybody want be individual...and let us be so...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2008, 23:14:29 »
Robert_Brenchley by picture books I assume mean ones like monty don's

"The complete gardener"

The guy can actually write; I like 'My Roots' and 'The Jewel Garden'. Some of his stuff is impossibly commercial though. He's far from being the only one who's sinned in that respect, so let's not single him out.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2008, 23:29:36 »
Were we all watching the same program???

Monty clearly states in the beginning that joe is a good designer, and has no idea how to grow veg... but wanted to start to do so for his family!!.. In reality!!!... So the BBC decided to follow his progress.

I am so appalled at this discussion and the remarks that it should be done right as its broadcast to the nation.

If a newbie turned up on your sites... first thing you do is say hi to your new neighbours... I thought it was great Joe met his fellow allotment holders and asked questions about the site.... isnt that what most first timers do!!.

His local council dug up his plot... I have read many a thread that plots are dug up by the local council.

His local council gives compost that they have made...that does happen in the town adjacent to mine.

His shed was bought on EBAY if anyone saw the bit of paper he had in his hand... he bid on it personally.. not on behalf of the BBC.

For the experts, he called the allotment winner of so many years for advice..... so didnt the BBC cater for you there.

Just amazed how many folk have slapped the poor bloke down just because he is a garden designer!!.

If it was a newbie on your own sites... you wouldnt be banging on about how bad they doing things, you would be advising them... Just like Joe's fellow allotmenteers are doing with him.

I think you keep forgetting that his allotment is for his personal use.  Nothing arrived all at once, did anyone take note of the date on his own film camera... it was all done over a few months!!!.

Sorry to bang on a bit but I think the way its been done is great and I thought it was hilariously funny that he wanted triangles.... he is a designer after all... doesnt matter that he cant grow in straight lines... I dont thats for sure .. I grow where I can in my garden... and have a perfect spot to put a triangle raised bed... perfect for lettuce i think  :P :P

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008, 23:57:35 »
Totally agree Spring - I'll hold up my hand when I did it completely wrong first time out - anyone else holding up theirs?  :)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2008, 00:01:23 »

Just amazed how many folk have slapped the poor bloke down just because he is a garden designer!!.

I think he gets slapped because he's a Burmmie.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2008, 09:40:35 »
I wasn't being critical of any individual.

For my preferred style I find that modern ''baby talk'' veg books are a load of old rot.

I have said that no dig etc is a fantastic way of going on, if that is your thing, it isn't mine.

Proud to be a Trelawny man!

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2008, 09:56:54 »
And before a great big row breaks out and people get touchy. My clueless individuals that transplant was aimed at the producers of GW who now believe that we all just want to be shown how to tap the base of a garden centre pot, and plonk it in the ground.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:40 »
Well its up to the individual what they think about TV programs and if you think the scenario is rather unlikely then that doesn't make you a bad person just realistic.

Getting your whole plot turned over etc etc etc in a week or two is VERY lucky. I tend not to blindly believe everything I see on TV.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2008, 10:21:30 »
Hope you didn't think I really was offended Albacore - I'm a completely umbrage free zone  :)

Looking forward to the aftermath of this Friday night for "Multiple rant - the sequel"

PS Does anyone know whether the allotment stuff was filmed last year or earlier this year?

David R

• Acre
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2008, 10:24:37 »
he probably does gets some corporate help, but overall, its a good thing to have anything to do with allotments on mainstream tv. It will be interesting to see what mistakes are made purely froma voyueristic point but hopefully he balances with advice on putting it right.

You cannot please everyone, the "old timers" (myself included) will think they know everything anyway, so its not aimed at them. The newbies will be encouraged by seeing it on the tv.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:37 »
I agree, that coverage is good, however I do question the delivery of that coverage.

I would rather be shown by a seasoned veteran than a theorist.

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2008, 10:37:34 »
I agree totally with Springbokgirlie - I really enjoyed it - yes we laughed at the fact he was cutting up the weeds, but it was great to see allotments on tv. we all make mistakes when we start out and all I can say is good luck to him.

I'm glad to say that on my allotments people say hello and make you feel welcome, then let you get on in your own way....they also offer lots of free plants when they have them spare and only give advice if you ask for it...I  feel very sad to read such  unpleasantness on A4A ... this seems to be a trend in our society.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:01 »
I dont feel I'm being unpleasant at all  ???, I'm looking forward to the programme despite my cynical attitude to the media, I like the 'veteran' idea Albacore. I hope they include all the codgers in it with their moaning to add realism. Thats exactly what happened to me, it drove me up the wall initially. "NAAAAA, you cant do that, it wont work".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:42:37 by sawfish »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal