Author Topic: TAKING A SHED APART (EASY WAY)  (Read 25504 times)

margyf

• Not So New ...
TAKING A SHED APART (EASY WAY)
« on: April 11, 2008, 15:26:14 »
I have a shed which I have to dismantle its an 6 by 8 apex shed.

Im then taking it to my allotment

Any ideas how to dismantle and put back together.

The quick and easy way
 :D

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: TAKING A SHED APART (EASY WAY)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 15:40:31 »
We chalked arrows and numbers along each joint i.e A>A   B>B etc, a bag for all nuts and bolts .

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 15:45:11 »
Dynamite? Though not the easy way if putting back together...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 16:10:00 »
Having just done same a couple of weeks ago!

You find the screws holding thing together starting with roof.  Undo all those and lift roof off (may come in two pieces) then start on the long sides dismantling screws from the side base and other side and so on.

Mine came apart beautifully but we did get through a pack of 10 screw bits as they were a bit rusty and old!

Good luck!

Old Bird

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 17:16:35 »
Margyf,
          Once of a day when a shed was a shed made out of proper tongue and groove all you needed at each corner was the bolts to fasten it together. But today a modern shed is not the same, you might find more than the original fasteners  supplied to put the shed together so take plenty of tools with you to take the shed apart :)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 20:35:12 »
If you find yourself involved with removing old rusty woodscrews, try to find a screwdriver with a blade that runs right through the handle i.e. one you can strike with a hammer, then do just that after making sure the slot (or socket) in the screw head is as clean as possible. Next, turn the screw the wrong way a fraction. When (if) you feel it move, turn it the right way, and if necessary rock it to and fro till the screw is easy enough to remove. The crucial thing is to avoid letting the screwdriver 'cam out' of the slot.  If coach bolts have been used, they will very probably shear. That isn't a problem; they're easy to knock out once the shed is dismantled, and new ones are cheap if you go to the right place, i.e. the local ironmonger.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 10:31:21 »
Depending on th eago of the shed it may have been made more solid by  use of lots of nails holding the sides to the floor etc.  Take a crowbar.  Generally, as someone has already said, roof first - you may have to cut through the felt along the apex.  then unscrew the side with the door, remove and repeat round the other three walls.  May be helpful to have someone who can hold on to the walls still standing as they will gradually get more unsupported.  You might want to remove any glass in the windows first too if that's easy.

Good luck - the roof can be heavy having to hoist  it over your head and the sides so be careful.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 21:22:54 »
Take an electric screwdriver, it'll make a whole lot easier and you won't get (as many) blisters. ;D

margyf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:41:20 »
Hi

Thanks to all of you I managed to get some help on sat and sun and its now at the allotment.

Now we have to put it all together ouch that should be fun.

As my plot is fairly new there area where I want to put the shed is slightly unlevel and has few weeds that keep coming back whats the best way to start on such land when putting back the shed etc. ::)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 11:15:57 »
I'm not sure about levelling it, apart from moving the earth around.
but put some weed control fabric down (or plastic sheet).

You may need something to put it on to keep the water from seeping upwards,
some concrete paving slabs with a few dobs of mortar or pallets.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:55:19 »
I levelled the site for my shed...got the ground level first and then got builders sand and spread out levelled and then put on paving slabs. All checked by pedantic husband at the end who thought I couldn't do it to his level of perfectionism but admited he was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

However with hindsight should have made it higher off the ground as paving slabs are too low on their own and allow Rats to live comfortably underneath. So maybe some wooden posts on top of the slabs, suggestions anyone?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 12:08:15 »
Yep - That is what I have got mine sitting on!  I have about 6 on my 10' long side propping it off the ground by a couple of inches!

Old Bird

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 12:49:44 »
I'd have put breezeblocks on top of the slabs, beams on top of those, and used them as a foundation for the shed.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 13:02:38 »
just wire the bottom in with weld mesh
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 13:28:35 »
my shed came 2nd hand and has collapsed a couple of times due to high winds.

Its on a bed made of slabs on a sand conret mix (not quite right but it works) the shed was bought at the same time as my neighbours and only cost 20quid. I think we ended up with the wrong roofs but as he did not put his shed up for 6 months we just though mine was ill fitting.

The floor consised of the slabs and a couple of beams i had to try not to trip up over so i ended up putting some wood down to make a floor which leaves a nice gap under neath. This combined with an ill fitting roof means there are a couple of gaps and i know i had over wintering visitors in the shed.

Thursday i am emptying the shed (dependant on the weather) and with the aid of a friend who uses the shed when i am not there to hide from the rain i am going to use expanding foam to seal the gaps between the wall and the roof and seal the edges of the floor. (also going to use some to help retain heat in my compost bin by sealing the gaps in the pallets). I am told that mice and rats will not eat though this as its posion. It takes an hour to cure then i can put stuff back in and crack on with moving wood chips onto paths and weed my beds.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 13:33:21 »
In my experience rats love using expanding foam as nesting material.

The only way I have found of keeping rats away is to remove any shelter, or food.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 17:14:11 »
Don't worry Cambourne it doesn't have to be a secondhand shed to need filler for the gaps. I bought a new shed after missing out on lots of used sheds but the boards on mine have shrunk and caused gaps which I have tried to fill initially with sealant but now the gaps are bigger i'll have to try other options.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 09:43:01 »
Line the inside panels between the frame with quarter inch marine ply.

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 01:15:26 »
Go easy with the expanding foam as it really does what it says on the tin, give a short burst into a gap and move onto the next one etc and then return to the first a few minutes later to see how much it has filled, if you need to which I doubt give another short burst. Also wear some gloves as this stuff is as sticky as you like when you get it on your skin, once it has gone off you can trim it to profile with a knife or hacksaw blade.

Cheers
Tony
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal