Author Topic: Chicken house construction advice?  (Read 1685 times)

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Chicken house construction advice?
« on: April 15, 2008, 21:35:56 »
I'm thinking of getting some chickens and currently looking into constructing them somewhere to live. One of the possibilities is to use an old construction which lives by one of the compost heaps. 

I think probably was once a chicken coop - it's a fairly solid wooden construction on wheels, with handles, pitched roof, about 8ft long and with various hinged sections to gain access to the insides and a hatch for the birds to get out of (but no ladder/walkway up to the hatch - would need to make one). It has a couple of perches fitted. I think three or four birds would be pretty comfortable in there at night (they would be outside in the day).

The floor is slatted, which I guess is good in terms of cleaning out, but maybe not so comfortable for the hens. Should I cover the slats with a piece of wood which can be removed for cleaning?

The roof is wooden and  a couple of the timbers have rotted and need replacing. Should I cover the roof with something to better protect it? I vaguely remember being told not to use roofing felt as it encourages red mites - is there something better ?

When I've seen henhouses previously they've had nesting boxes with lids to allow easy egg collection. Is this necessary - I'd have to add them on to the side? Or can I put something inside the coop instead?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Chicken house construction advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 21:42:18 »
I have 2 shelves with the nest boxes in between.  I have partitioned this off into 8 sections. In each nest I put a cardboard crisp box with one end cut off, inside with some straw for bedding when the hens are laying.  When the nest needs cleaning, I replace the cardboard box. Nice & easy. 

As for the egg collection, I do not have any of these "special hatches".  I collect my eggs from inside the nest box itself.   Never had any problems.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

KimT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 23:18:10 »
We use onduline/coroline for the roof which you can buy from B & Q along with all the fixings.

We have our nest boxes inside our hen house made from ply wood. If you decide to add external nest boxes you will have to make them water proof....................easy option is put them inside.

Good luck with your hen house - you can always give it a really good clean with Jeyes fluid but do this well before you get you girls as it stinks!

Love my hens and all that's henny!
www.thepoultrygarden.com

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:33 »
Good luck with your hen house - you can always give it a really good clean with Jeyes fluid but do this well before you get you girls as it stinks!

Thanks for the help everyone.

It will certainly need some repairs and a very thorough clean with wirebrush etc. so not ready for hens for a while yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal