Author Topic: moon planting  (Read 2519 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: moon planting
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 10:43:07 »
try 'Gardening & Planting by the moon' 2008 by N.Kollerstrom, the BBC's Lunar Gardening Correspondent.
After seeing the results at a friend's plot, I am using it this year.
rgds, tonybloke
You couldn't make it up!

iceberg1

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 11:00:05 »
 thanks everyone

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 13:10:04 »
You're all mad.

I agree but considering the moon's influence on tides. Perhaps there could be some truth in it.

What have tides got to do with growing? Tides rise and fall daily twice a day.

so its whether the gravitational pull pulls that body of water nearer to the surface or further back down though that I suppose it relies on

The moons gravitational effect is so small it is not capable of raising water a measureable amount. Tides only happen because of the funneling effect of the narrowing coastlines coupled to the earths spin and prevailing winds. How come a glass full to the brim with water will not spill a drop during the night?

If anyone wants to grow seeds of any type successfully, all they have to do is provide the right conditions and the seeds will grow. When the right conditions are provided 365 days of the year, the crops will flourish regardless of any moon.

Stop eating the mushrooms. 8)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 13:17:35 »
Tides only happen because of the funneling effect of the narrowing coastlines coupled to the earths spin and prevailing winds.

But the earths spin doesn't change direction twice a day and neither does the prevailing wind, that why it's called prevailing.

You're all mad.

That's something I can't disagree with  :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 14:07:26 »
Narrowing coastlines do have an effect; the tides in the Severn Estuary are some of the highest in the world, precisely because the coast funnels the moving water as it comes inland. Basically, the tides are a wave created by the moon's gravity, and to a lesser extent the sun's. When the two coincide, we get the spring tides, when they oppose each other, we get the neaps. Wind and coastline do have an influence on the height of the resulting tide, but they don't cause it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal