Author Topic: Cure needed  (Read 1327 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Cure needed
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:32 »
Last year I was bragging about the Mersey Riviera, this year it is the Mersey Tundra.

I am currently running 3-4 weeks behind last year with average temperatures 5 degrees less and almost no sunshine.

I am not worried about sowing and planting as things will catch up, but I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms after a warm spell a few weeks ago.

Is there a cure?

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

betula

• Hectare
Re: Cure needed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35:26 »
My cure has been to plant three fruit trees.

Then I planted Roses,clematis and honeysuckle.

Anything to keep the fingers dirty ;D

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:20:48 »
I know exactly what you mean, looking through last years photos there is one of me digging in a t-shirt in glorious sunshine, in March!

I think everyones behind a little bit, hopefully we will get a decent summer this year to make up for it :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:30:41 »
I find just being grumpy all day makes me feel better. My OH has recognised my martyrdom and even bought me a gardening magazine to coax a smile.  ;D

At least that's what I thought it was for until I relaised he wanted to book the TV for 4 nights as its the US Masters   ::)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:41:55 »
Oh yes! I am trying hard to believe that the extended rotten weather means we will have a nice summer because everytime it is too hot in spring, the summer is bloody awful!!  I mean some days here there is sun but it is so cold!! I am still wearing a winter coat! Daytime temps are only around 8-10 c, that's not really warm for this time of year!!
Perhaps it means an Indian summer? Anyway couldn't be worse than last year.  ;)
At least I am now motivated to do lots of plants in pots which is probably the best way to go about it, I tried to straight sow too many things last year and it was a flop.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55:31 »
I'm quite enjoying the 'lateness' in fact I see it as a bit of normality, its the last few years that have been out of sync not this year I think!!

I think a lot of us commented at the time on how we thought the 'heat wave' in April last year was responsible for many of the pests and diseases we had, if we were correct then we might see less of it around this year.

Strangely enough the 'signs' I use to judge an early/late year point to a bit of normality.

So here's hoping!! ::)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 20:41:30 »
While the Spring has felt colder and wetter than normal in Glasgow, some things seem to be about on schedule. Gooseberries are flowering and the bumble bees are doing their pollination. I have even seen a few butterflies. So all is not lost.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:36:17 »
Last year I was bragging about the Mersey Riviera, this year it is the Mersey Tundra.

I am currently running 3-4 weeks behind last year with average temperatures 5 degrees less and almost no sunshine.

I am not worried about sowing and planting as things will catch up, but I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms after a warm spell a few weeks ago.

Is there a cure? you need a holiday go to www.first choice.com and look up late deals

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal