Author Topic: Help Desperately Needed With Young Dog  (Read 10284 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Help Desperately Needed With Young Dog
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 00:22:35 »
Denbee.....as Betula said you mustn't feel guilty. You have done the right thing and you know where she is, which really helps. Her new owners have more time to devote to her training than you would have had, being a mum takes presidence. Your girls will feel much more comfortable now too. We all know our limits thankfully, and make decisions accordingly.

Betula......I offered Denbee The Dog Whisperer by Jan Fennel. You are welcome to borrow it if you wish. Im sorry I cant give it away as it is very useful and is deserving of more than one or two reads.

The reason I am willing to lend it out is that there is so much information I couldnt possibly begin to explain in a post. She goes into lots of detail and makes it very understandable.

The choice is your hun  ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 22:53:32 »
Sorry star only just read this post.Star I am sure I have a copy of this book,it is just having to locate it,we are both avid readers and the book thing is getting out of control.It is so kind of you to offer the loan of your copy,but I will find my own soon.

Belle is really playing up lately and none of the usual techniques seem to be working.Very dominant little doggie and concerned she is getting a little bit aggressive...........oh well we will sort her,she has never been an easy dog.

Poor collie Jilly,we had such a peaceful life until Belle arrived.Will jillie ever forgive me? ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 23:09:46 by betula »

star

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 18:32:19 »
Oops........I too have just read your post Betula, I hope you found the book and Belle is behaving herself. You just have to shout if you change your mind. But a pm may be better as I dont look in here regularly.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 18:42:19 »
Thanks star,she is a bit better,just gets really excited when out and the thing I can not cure her of is trouser dragging if one of us goes in front.
She loves to go out so much and gets so wound up she almost collapsed the other day,she wore herself out.

Very quiet at home tonight as she has gone to kennel as off to Kew tomorrow.Missing her though. :)

Any tips welcome :)

star

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 20:52:07 »
Mine used to be exactly the same Betula, going crazy, whining and yapping as soon as the collars came out. It got so irritating. So........when I got collars out one day. I just sat with them in my hand until they both calmed down. It took an hour and a half. Put collars on........going mad again. I sat again till they stopped and laid down.....took 20 mins. (All this was done saying nothing, looking at them or getting angry)

Every time I stood up they went mad.....sat back down. Like a yoyo for at least an hour, same applied to the lead! It took hours to get out the first time, but if you are committed and dont give in your actions speak volumes louder than any words.

Every day will be the same but the time will reduce considerably each time with consistancy. Its as if they will test you every time to find your weakness. You, the leader must not get angry or lose patience, Belle can only leave the house with you when you take the initiative. Keep her on a lead for a good fortnight so you remain in control.

You will hopefully find once she accepts you as leader she will stop the trouser pulling as well.

This takes lots of willpower on your part, I have been successful with a lot of patience. I wish you all the best Betula. Keep us posted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal