Author Topic: Help Desperately Needed With Young Dog  (Read 10266 times)

DenBee

• Acre
Re: Help Desperately Needed With Young Dog
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 22:15:18 »
You know what, you lot are really bloomin' lovely.  :)

I'm going to have a real digest of this thread tomorrow.  I've been up since 5.30am (couldn't sleep), so I've just skimmed it now.

I feel a bit like when I had post natal depression after my second child.  Nothing was the way I anticipated, and I ended up really stressed, and ready to run away from it all.

Youngest daughter is the one who really, really wants to keep Rosie, despite the fact that she's the only one who has any marks from her - tooth marks on her knee, and a couple of scratches on her hand from when the dog greeted her too boisterously.

I truly do believe you are right and that she doesn't have any vice in her, for example we can take her dinner bowl away from her mid-meal, and she simply waits till it's replaced.  She's simply been ruined by muppets in the last three months.  And come to that, we have no idea what her first 8 weeks were like either.

She's still on probation, but after discussion I told OH I thought maybe we were trying to get her the way she should be too fast, and despairing a bit soon.  In our defence, the fact that she made both girls cry in shock and fear yesterday was an awful circumstance to try to get over.  Not sure OH has yet.

I'm trying to rediscover the joy in having a puppy - like the fact that she had a very quizzical look on her face when she saw a loo flush for the first time today, and poked her head down to find out what it was.  And the positive about the fact that she has learned what "Have a wee wee" means - and does it.  Though she does seem to have some cat-like tendencies - it's been raining here this evening, and she's had to be practically pushed out of the door to go out.  :)

I'll stop blathering now.  But again - THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 22:54:57 »
Another thing to try would be a water pistol! for naughty stuff.

Also I would think about dog training sessions whilst she is still young.

And whats she like with other dogs? The reason I ask is up until they are about 5 months old they give off pheromones and other dogs wont harm them because these pheromones say that "I'm only a puppy" once they start becoming a teenager as it were, other dogs will then start putting her in her place. Also by letting her play with other dogs she will find out from them that she's hurting, if she rough plays they will squeal. You can too can go OW (top of ur voice) if she's gone too far.

One last thing, I learnt about lot of dog behavior from watching the dog whisperer. on sky3, its on at 6pm every week night and repeats of week days at the weekends. think he's on at lunch times too during the week.

Your kids wont want to give her up either, so bet they'll be most willing to do as their told.

I wish you the best of luck, I too picked up the pieces of someone elses cast offs.
But my boy was 5 years old and way out of control! He's much ,much better but will still try it on if I drop my guard! He's been with me for 3 years, now 8yrs old. I love him to bits.
I often wonder what would of happened to him if he hadn't found me.

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 01:59:47 »
 :-\ Found this video. Not sure if it will be of any help, but it made interesting viewing and it goes along the lines of posie's post and the idea of yelping when the dog bites/mouths you.  And my way of training which was to leave the room when the behaviour became unacceptable. I know the dog in the video is not a boxer, but guess breed makes no difference to the concept put across in the video. Worth a look anyway.... Hope you are feeling better today by the way and more relaxed about things!! xxx

www.expertvillage.com/video/8785_dog-training-puppy-biting.htm

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 10:01:46 »
Thanks for the video links Aromatic.  Sitting perusing them all now.  :)

I am more relaxed this morning, thank you.  As is OH.  He's been sitting this morning reminiscing about our last boxer dog's puppyhood, about 20 years ago, and realising it wasn't all beer and skittles with him either.  We've decided to lighten up on ourselves, and work on the fact that she hasn't really learned what "no" means.  We think that if we can get to her stop annoying or dangerous behaviour, then we'll all feel better about her.

I'm really glad you were all here to talk me down off the ceiling.  I'm reading and taking note of all your suggestions, which are really excellent advice, borne of hard-earned experience I can tell.  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 14:39:32 »
Hello Denbee,

I'd like to ask you and your husband to consider taking Rosie (lovely name 8)) to your vet and getting her fitted with a muzzle - which may need to be replaced as she grows over the next months. Your vet will decide.

Reason = although you may work well with her and control her/your childrens behaviour in your garden, other people and other children need to be safe also when she's off her lead in a public area.

Sorry to have to make this point  :(

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 18:09:45 »
It's a fair point, Alishka.  One of the reasons we're still seriously reconsidering rehoming her is that we need to be convinced that this behaviour is simply puppy mischief which has been reinforced by extremely poor training.  If we're not convinced of this in a week's time, then she needs a home where this can either be overcome by someone more qualified to do so, or where there are no small ones around who can be hurt by her over-exuberance.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 18:18:21 »

Sharonindauk

• Not So New ...
  • Loony tunes due 2 having 2 teenage boys
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 11:36:15 »
Morning DenBee..

I know how hard it can be to think that you might have to re-home Rosie, I went through all that to with Dave, but we have nearly come out the other end after 6 months of a lot of hard work, I personally feel a week is not long enough to see much change as Boxers can be a bit slow on the learning front  ::)  ... but they can make it to the other side believe me, Our Dave arrived with a lot of problems, and to this day i can not get him to behave right if he sees anyone in camouflage (dave came off a military base), he goes up barking and if they take a step towards him he barks harder but moves backwards, so i am still working on that, he also does the same to twitchers with tripods  :o  Dave will most probably always suffer from Separation Anxiety, as he reverts with any set back, but when he is ok we can now leave him for 2hours, in the beginning just closing him in a room would set him off to total destruction...

If you come to the conclusion to re home, and you might even want to call a boxer welfare group now as they will help you with any problems you have and will be willing to talk you through what you could do to help here and now, these ladies and gentlemen are full of info on Boxers in particular, if you are down south i can highly recommend http://hcbw.org.uk/ and if you are north of the border http://www.boxerwelfarescotland.co.uk/ ..

Today Dave is behaving like he has had all the E's under the sun and is being very mischief, but i can understand, he had the snip on Thursday and is only allowed 10 minutes on lead in the garden till he sees the vet nurse Monday, then he has another two weeks of only lead walks as we are also trying to get to the bottom of a disappearing limp, thankfully we know it is not bone damage as he was x-rayed

Happy Sunday ....sharon

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:40:00 by Sharonindauk »
How long a minute is  depends on what side of the  bathroom door you're on.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 11:45:00 »
I personally feel a week is not long enough to see much change as Boxers can be a bit slow on the learning front  ::) 

Have to say i agree with this.  Especially where boxers are concerned.  If you're looking for a good training aid, then I can recommend cheese! Smellier the better.  It's the only thing bar Hob Nobs that Ruby would ever do anything for.  And definitely contact the boxer welfare groups, I doubt if it's anything they haven't come across before!

I still argue with Ruby even now over what she can and can't do, but at least I know now that I will eventually win.........unless it's a sock. In which case I have no chance.  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 20:49:30 »
Oh Denbee, I have read through your thread and there is some really good advice from everyone. It is such a shame when people teach dogs unsociable behaviour, But I do think you are able and very capable of changing Rosie's behaviour as long as you all work as a unit. With everyone giving her the same signals in the home.

To go along with all the advice given here I can lend you a book for the family to read. Its by Jan Fennel the Dog Whisperer. It is very good and makes total sense.

PM me your address if you would like to borrow it. I wish you all the success in the world with Rosie Im sure all your efforts will be rewarded.

Star x
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 21:24:49 »
 :-\ I agree with previous advice that a week is not at all long enough to judge Rosie... but you have had some really sound advice and I do think Sharonindauk has give you some fantastic links to boxer welfare groups and in my opinion that would be my very next move... I would be on the phone to these people tomorrow because they will know the boxer breed inside and out and will make sound suggestions has to what you should do next, and more importantly put your mind at ease and hopefully instill you with some confidence, which has taken a bit of a bashing regarding recent events. I would also take up the very kind offer of star's book which would be very useful for you. As I have said before I am convinced that Rosie is a good dog and you will get her into shape before very long.....  Keep us posted Denbee... and let us know how things go for you all and of course Rosie.....

Love aromatic xxx

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 21:31:15 »
 ;D ;D Sharonindauk .. just have to say Dave is gorgeous!! What a lovely photograph......!!

Love aromatic xxx

Sharonindauk

• Not So New ...
  • Loony tunes due 2 having 2 teenage boys
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2008, 22:02:58 »
Daves embarrassed now, he says he ain't cute, he is a teenage tearaway always playing with the boundaries  ;)
Dave is my second rescue boy, my first from HCBW (03) was Oscar, he came to us at 5 months old, complete ASBO, Oscar was diagnosed in Feb 07 with Lymphoma, and with chemotherapy treatment for life extending treatment for quality of life we got an extra 3 dog years with him RIP babe 24 july 2007... Dave joined us in Oct 07

Oscar

im hooked on Boxers...they are also great gardeners and know how to treat couch Grass ;)
How long a minute is  depends on what side of the  bathroom door you're on.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 22:07:12 »
What a wonderful photograph ;D

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 23:45:17 »
 :) A lovely photograph of Oscar.... adorable, lovable rogue... you must really miss him! Apologies to Dave for causing him such awful embarrassment... but a handsome lad like that must learn to take compliments!!

Love aromatic xxx

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:30 »
How's it going Denbee? Any updates on Rosie and her ASBO tendencies?! lol  Seriously I hope things have chilled a bit for you.  Ruby has decided this week that she's head of the household thank you very much and therefore will do what she flaming well pleases, so she's very much in disgrace after pinching plants from my greenhouse and shredding them...............at my feet.  Minx!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 11:37:42 »
My younger cocker spaniel clearly has literary aspirations: she scoffed David Copperfield (the Dickens one!) at the tender age of 4months.

I too have been wondering how things are going DenBee?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 09:37:21 »
I don't know if you could really class teh dog as agressive, she sounds over excited more than anything - I understand aggressive as growling, baring teeth, hackles up - playful nipping etc is not the same thing especially as big dogs don't know their own strength - I really think you should take her along to that training course. The trainer will soon tell you if she is unacceptable but in the meantime, it is marvellous what a few sessions can do.
She must be retaught now while she is young or it will be too late. But a  professional trainer will help you break her bad habits. I am very familiar with dogs, we had four when I was a kid and you really have to be the boss or you get walked over. I agree with some of the others: when she is over excited if you smack her she will think that is part of the play. You must be firm of voice, shouting NO! and looking her in the eye. Isolate her when she doesn't behave. She will soon understand that that type of jumping and biting is unacceptable. A good trick I always found was to stop a dog jumping up at you, gently tread on his toes, push him down with a firm NO! and hold him sitting down, repeating NO. Just pushing him away makes him think you are playing.
I hope it works out, as a well behaved dog is a lovely companion (even though boxers are a bit dribbly for my taste, ha ha)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 07:51:05 »
Hello all.  Sorry for being so long getting back, but I've had computer problems coming out me ears.

Rosie, sadly had to go to her new home.  It's a lovely home, and she's now got a big sister (4 year old boxer pregnant dog), and no children to scare.  Our girls just couldn't cope with her, and while we knew that given time, effort, and some serious training, she is going to be a wonderful dog, the girls had to come first.

Anti - I know what you mean about your definition of aggressive, and I certainly didn't mean it as malicious at all, simply as basically "in your face".  She was pretty violent too, tbh.  And didn't just bare teeth - she used them.  My youngest had a variety of marks on her legs and arms, and my eldest almost got a customised navel ring, but Rosie aimed a bit low.  :)  We loved her, but all the things that people try to train their puppies out of, she'd been encouraged in for 3 months.  We only had her for just over 2 weeks, and I know that wasn't nearly long enough to break those habits, but when your daughters start avoiding rooms the dog is in, it's not good.

OH's son found her a new home with a work colleague who lives only a couple of miles from us, so I know exactly where she is, and we get updates on her.  It's sad, but I comfort myself with the thought that even though she's not with us, she's also not with the people that we got her from, and isn't going to end up possibly being put to sleep for biting someone, which is I reckon what her fate would have been if she'd been left there.

Thanks all for your concern.  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 08:14:17 »
I am glad you have found a new home for Rosie.If your children are frightened of her it is not a good state to be in.Let us hope things work out well for her.

My 12 month old westie has decided she wants to be the pack leader and has started to grab the bottam of my jeans when I walk away and if anybody walks in front with Jillie dog she grabs at their clothes too.

She has decided she does not want to walk through the front door behind anybody else and makes a tremendous fuss.She is becoming ASBO dog.Luckily we do not have children in the home.I would find that difficult to deal with.

Don't feel upset about this Denbee.I think you have done what is right for you and your children's safety must come first.

Any advice at dealing with Belle the westie would be gratefully received.We have a Older Border collie who will not let her be dog leader.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal