Author Topic: Scaredycat Dog!  (Read 1575 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Scaredycat Dog!
« on: July 07, 2008, 14:39:07 »
My border collie (Molly) loves to go out anywhere anytime anyhow, but has always been wary of walking over a field nearby. She starts off full of enthusiasm but has always wanted to turn round before we get to the edge of the field. Lately it's a lot worse and she jumps up to make me turn round before we have gone very far at all. The only reason I can think of is that there are telephone poles across the field and maybe they make a sound which humans can't hear though she is good everywhere else, poles or not.
Has anyone got any ideas please?
Smile, it confuses people.

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Scaredycat Dog!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 15:17:42 »
They are a lot brighter than we are and with a border collie being the brightest!

I would see if you can encourage her with titbits every time she goes a bit further.  You may be able to get her excited with a ball or something that she likes to chase in your hand and distract her from where she is going - only to a degree - remember she is a border collie!!

Maybe she was stung by something nettle or bee when she was there before and she may associate the place with the pain?  Anyway, I would try to jolly her along bouncing with her making it special that she is less aware of her surroundings and more intent on your good humour and sudden burst of enthusiasm!   If she goes into the field and starts to remember where she is - tell her she is a good girl - give her more titbits and don't hang around there for long - just each time go for a bit further and a bit longer.  She may well get over her phobia!

As you say it may be something to do with electricity noises that we can't hear so sometimes you may not be able to win!

My retrievers walked into an electric fence once - many years ago and they would always when we went past that particular spot - remember and appear frightened and panicky!

Good luck anyway to you and Molly!

Old Bird

;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 15:32:26 »
Emaggie - my friend has a JR (Lulu) and when she was a pup (7 years ago) she was full of beans and would run around and play with my JR.  However, one day for no apparent reason, when my friend got to the park Lulu ran hell for leather to the other end of the park and sat outside the gate shivering.  She had never done that before and was clearly spooked - but by what?  She has never recovered and whilst Lulu is very happy to trot along the roads or woods with my friend, as soon as she gets near the gates of the park Lulu she becomes quite nervous and clearly on edge.  Never discovered what it was that spooked her, doubt we ever will.
Twinkletoes

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 17:06:17 »
 Thanks for the suggestions Old Bird. No electric fences or anything, although she has experienced them at the stables :o.We have other walks to go on that she enjoys more so I'm not too worried about persuading her. She's 7 or 8 now, and always been a pleasure to take anywhere. Maybe Twinkletoes is right, maybe I'll never know. Just glad it's confined to that field only.

Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal