Author Topic: widescreen monitor question  (Read 2435 times)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
widescreen monitor question
« on: April 10, 2008, 17:05:07 »
Hello gurus,
I recently had to replace my flatscreen monitor. The new one has a widescreen format of 16:10. My old one had a format of 4:3. The only options when I right click Desktop/properties/settings (XP Home, SP2) are 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024. I assume there's some sort of download or patch from Microsoft®"º©™³ to cure this, but two evenings trawling their "help" pages has left me no nearer. Is there anybody who can point me in the right direction please? I'd tear my hair out but I'm already follically deficient. Thanks in advance.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

springbok

• Hectare
Re: widescreen monitor question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 17:30:40 »
Have you tried going to the website of the manufacturer of the monitor and downloading the latest driver for the monitor.

Usually this could solve the settings issue

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 17:55:44 »
Yes, did that thanks sbg. I should have mentioned that in my post - 'no downloads available'. I also went to the site of the drivers already on my computer - dead link. And according to the display option in control panel, I already have the latest drivers. Thanks anyway.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 18:00:32 »
I would of thought your graphics card would be the place to start as this deals with resolution, I think.

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 19:02:19 »
Did you right clik your desktop  select properties then settings on the top of the box?

mrf94

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 19:22:03 »
Flunky: nothing configurable in the graphics card department, and their website tells me I have the latest driver.

mrf94: yes, the first thing I did.

Geoff.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 13:02:17 »
Euro, I posted your question on a different forum I use and so far two possibles:

Uninstall graphics card drivers, reboot then reinstall them might help.

Your video card must support widescreen

Don't know if they're of any use.  I'll ask my OH when I get home.  He builds computers in his spare time so might have some useful information.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 13:31:10 »
There is a program called powerstrip which allows you to set the resolution at anything you want. The developer asks for a $30 license fee but there is no need to pay it unless you want to as the trial version is fully functional.
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Or if you prefer this is how to manually change your video resolution to anything you want using regedit. I reccomend you back up your registry before tweaking it. Don't exceed your video cards min/max resolution.

1. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{Address of primary video card}\0000\

2. Find 'DefaultSettings.XResolution'. That is your y axis. Edit as a Decimal to what you want it to be. eg: 1280.

2. Find 'DefaultSettings.YResolution'. That is your x axis. Edit as a decimal to what you want it to be. eg: 768.

3. Restart windows and you will have a resolution of 1280×768, just change the values according to what resolution you require.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 17:37:18 »
Quite often of not with these generic widescreen monitors, they rely on a signal from the monitor to tell the graphics card what resolutions it can display.

I had this problem with a monitor that was 1680x1050. I resolved it by making sure that I used the cable that came with the monitor. There is an incompatibiltiy with the signalling with most other cables - unless you get the right one.

Are you using the VGA cable that came with the monitor? If not, try it.

Tim

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 13:27:40 »
Thank you all very much for your input. My logic was questioned with regard to asking for computer solutions on an allotment site. Is there something wrong with that? I mean don't we all go to a weight-loss site when there's a problem with the car?  ;D

Geoff.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 00:13:00 »
 8)

Nope, I had a problem with a washing machine a while ago, asked on here and got an answer and fixed it in 10 minutes!!

;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 09:17:42 »
Just checked my "screen resolutions"
1280x1024
1024x768
832x624
800x600
640x480
1280x960
1152x864
1152x768

This is with a Medion Flat Pro LCD monitor and Ubuntu OS
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 10:19:02 »
Are you using a separate graphics card or the onboard graphics?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal