Author Topic: another manure question  (Read 1342 times)

jesssands

• Acre
another manure question
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:12:23 »
Just got some manure, its fresh stuff, still in its bag, the guy from work is bringing us a bag every monday.
Am gonna leave it to rot down, covered. Question being, Where is the best place to store it? on the soil or grass? concrete or on a sheet of plastic? or should I put some concrete blocks round it and make like a pit and on which surface?
Sorry but I'm still learning............
Have already put a bag load in a trench where my beans will go in, hoping it will be long enough to rot down? Haven't even started beans off yet so hope theres time for the process?

Thanks folks x

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: another manure question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:29:39 »
Hi Jess,
I left my *new manure* in the plastic bags. I think it will help keep the heat in which aids maturity.
Loads of time yet to start off your beans, so don't panic   ;D

Good luck
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 15:13:08 »
Hi there
If you can get hold of few old pallets make a frame from those and empty your manure in...compost heap really...and yes you can use concrete blocks...
Store your manure on soil or grass (but it would get killed underneath) as you need to give access for worms..part of composting process.. and any smelly liquid would seep in soil, on solid ground you would get very smelly puddles...
Cover the heap with plastic so it doesn't get too wet with rain..you don't won't any goodness being washed away...
As for beans..I do not sow mine untill first week of may...plenty of time for them yet...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 15:13:55 »
if you're planting squash or courgettes, cucumbers or melons, you can do the same as the beans, big hole, muck, soil over in a mound, pop bottle buried next to it and plant on the soil, by the time the roots get to it, the plant's ready for the food  :)

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:40:08 »
could prob do some corgettes. So whats with the pop bottle manics?
I am thinking, sow corgette seed in the pop bottle, well under the top half as a miniscule green house?
thought melons and cues where a green house thing... cos we've not got a greenhouse  :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 13:20:36 »
could do that, jessands, I put pop bottles, top left off, bottom cut off, over stuff to save slugs eating them but we sink one, upside down, next to the plant, water goes straight into the roots.
you can get outside cucumbers, melons can be grown under a frame of some sort

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal