Author Topic: Butterfly annuals  (Read 2064 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Butterfly annuals
« on: April 09, 2008, 19:11:56 »
I bought a pack of seeds from wilkos that are called butterfly annuals, it ssays they are a mixture of garden annuals to attract bees and butterflies.  It does not state the names of the individual flowers  but has a caution on the back that says harmful if eaten.  I have pet tortoises that roam my garden during summer time, and am worried that these will cause troubl efor them.  do you think they would be harmful to humans or just animals.  If so I have a vacant space at my lottie can I just chuck them all down there and let them grow wild

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Butterfly annuals
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 20:35:12 »
Its hard to say without names or pictures. But I would heed the warning, better safe than sorry. Specially for your tortoise.

Someone else may have different and better advice ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 21:08:25 »
Hmm...many plants are unedible to human and perfectly ok with animals..they digesting system can be so different from us..I do not know about tortoises...
You could alway keep it away untill your plants are grown a bit and not in reach for it..and when they are bit older=not so nice to eat anymore.
I would believe that tortoises know what they are about to eat...and if it is safe for them..those seed mixes would not include any of the really nasty ones..like ragworth..
I think you mainly get poppies, daisies, scabies etc..
If I would have tortoise..I would not worry... ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 23:26:40 »
The warning is probably there to cover the seed company's arse more than anything else. Best thing would be to check with a tortoise club for a list of any plants that must be avoided and make sure you can recognise these and remove pronto.

I had a friend that kept lots of tortoises in the garden free range every summer without problem so there is probably not a lot that will harm them.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 00:42:30 »
Might they have meant the seeds themselves were poisonous, not the plants?

Strange they didn't list the plants though. Would that have been too much for them to handle? sounds ridiculous.

I had a wildflower packet once and some cautioned me that it might introduce many weeds in my garden.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:50:26 »
I have the same seeds and I assumed it was the seeds that were dangerous rather than the plants, having said that I have no idea about tortoises I'm afraid.  I also have a "Wildlife Garden" packet that also does not give you any idea of what is in there and that's a Mr Fothergills brand so you would have thought they'd be pretty reliable and list the contents  ??? ???
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:57:50 »
I have the same seeds and I assumed it was the seeds that were dangerous rather than the plants, having said that I have no idea about tortoises I'm afraid.  I also have a "Wildlife Garden" packet that also does not give you any idea of what is in there and that's a Mr Fothergills brand so you would have thought they'd be pretty reliable and list the contents  ??? ???

Maybe it's like licorice- "made from the floor sweepings." ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 20:53:15 »
Try http://www.thetortoisegarden.co.uk/ , I'm sure they'd be helpful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal